You can type here any text you want

ATTN: Craig Smith...Status of "NEW" Fast system?? and revised firing order??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

808 87 WE2

Craig,....Just got me a GN to play with..... I want to run a FAST system and learn it well in the GN before i move on to my bigger and faster "project"

our your newer system gonna be more of a universal style, similar to the gen 7 where you can use different types of ignition setups?...from what i understand the current fast system is specific to your application..for example can i use a buick DIS system and then use the same ecm for a SBC?..are there plans to have features like the GEN 7+.(a/c control, a cool dash)?..or better yet, have features better than the gen 7 ??

as for revised firing order, has anyone tried it in sequential mode?...standard bbc or sbc firing order 18436572 vs."pro stock" firing order 18736542

basiclly i just want to know WHAT new features will the "next generation" FAST system have and WHEN will it ever be released???....we're all waiting!!!, im sure you can give us a FEW "secrets";) ;)

thanks
Jeff

I can give you an overview, at least. The "official" story on this thing will be released in a more official capacity than what I am doing here and will have a lot more detail.

To answer your questions, we will be putting a LOT more inputs and outputs in the new ECU, and we will also make the unit user-configurable in terms of the ignition system you will be interfacing.

There will be no more picking and choosing between options either. If you want to run a fan, a pump, an IAC, and a couple solenoids at the same time, that won't be a problem. All new ECUs will have these options (and many more) on board.

There's a tone of other stuff I'd like to tell you about but I think it would be best to leave most of the details up to the people responsible for the official product announcement. We're still on track for a mid-summer release date.

As far as the revised firing order stuff, I don't have any hands-on experience. I've talked about this with some buddies though, and the consensus was that the problem with the standard SBC/BBC firing order had to do with the 5 and 7 cylinders fighting for fuel, since the runners are physically right next to each other and those cylinders fire back-to-back. Swapping to a 18736542 firing order simply moves that problem to cylinders 4 and 2. The only way to solve this problem is to go to the LS1 firing order, which is 18726543.

What we also thought was that the fueling problem wouldn't be as much of a problem on an injected engine as it would be on a carbureted engine, since the fuel is being sprayed directly into the runner rather than pulled from an a/f mixture in the plenum. We further decided that since this trick only seems to net the Pro Stockers about 10 hp, the cost of a revised cam probably wouldn't be justified by the minimal gains (if any) it would produce in an injected engine. That's just a theory between my buddies and I over a few beers. If anyone knows more about this I'd love to hear more about it.

In the prostock firing order you also fire 3 of the crank throws one right after the other. 2+1, 8+7, 6+5. I don't know if it has anything to do with the reason behind it or not.

thank you sir!!!

Craig Smith....sorry to pressure you and i know your really busy, but just want to say "MAHALO" (THANKS in Hawaiian)...sounds like your newers system is gonna kick some A$$, ...since your current systems have been a proven winner for the hard core racers...

hey when you have a chance or when i get my "project" at full speed why dont you come here to Hawaii and check it out...sunny all year round (low 70's and it s freezing for us, WHAT is SNOW???!!!), beautiful beachs and great food!!...you can tell your boss its an offical buisness trip since we have no FAST reps here, and that we need you here to help tune:cool: :cool:

anyways, i guess ill wait for the offical release of the "NEW" FAST system that is due out soon, sound like a winner!!!

talk to you later
ALOHA
Jeff

Craig,

Will the new FAST system require a 100% replacement of an existing FAST system? I have been told that I will be able to reuse my existing harness and the new FAST box will have a 3rd plug, plus the additional harness, to accomodate the additional funtionality of the new system and I won't have to totally replace the entire harness as the Accel DFI users did when they migrated from 6.32 to Gen 7.

Will there be any provision for boost/wastegate control in the new system?

Back