You can type here any text you want

Audible Pinging When Getting On It

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

DaveyX87

I drive my stock 86 once in a while. I took it out yesterday and for the first time ever I heard pinging when I stepped on the gas getting onto the freeway. My car is stock except for a chip and k&n intake. It has never done that before and I am worried the I could have damaged the engine. I am also worried that there could be inaudible knock that may have been going on for sometime. It could simply be bad gas or the fairly recent chip upgrade that is causing this. I know I need to get a scan tool ASAP. The pinging occurred two separate times yesterday. Should I not drive the car until I get a scan tool? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

If its "stock" as in injectors and fuel pump...add that to your list of things you need to do. Also, put 93 octane in it if its available.

You can drive it but stay out of the boost until you get better fuel and at minimum a scanmaster. If you don't drive it much and it sets a lot you could have watered down fuel.

I appreciate the feedback. I will baby it when I do drive it until I get a scanmaster. I'm in California and our gas sucks. My chip is programed for 91 octane. But still, not all gas is created equal. I think there are different blends and batches of gas, some better than others, regardless of octane rating.

Aside from getting a scanmaster, it's time to check your fuel system. Pump, filter, regulator and injectors.

I recently replaced the fuel pump in the tank. I probably should have used a better on than just a stock replacement. I will look into updating the fuel delivery. I took the car out yesterday and added new gas. So far it is running ok. I definitely need to pick up a scan tool. What is the newest version of the Scan Master? Is there an equivalent or better alternative? What vendors do you guys suggest I get it from. Turbo Tweaks is here in CA I believe so quick shipping.

Creating a signature listing all current mods is helpful for those trying to help you. What pump did you install? 2.1 is the most current scanmaster model and can be bought through TurboTweak, Full Throttle, or Kirbans, to name a few. A scanmaster is considered the minimum to have. You can add a powerlogger if you want "better".

Back