Autocrossing the TTA?

Roc87

11 Second V6
Well, some of you might know that here in Albuquerque we don't have a dragstrip, there are always rumors of a new one opening next year but until I smoke the tires on the track I won't believe it. Anyways I was wondering if anybody has ever autocrossed their TTA? And what kind of luck did you have?

Since I'm putting the T's motor in my Iroc and it has performance springs, polyurethane bushings all around, a 6 point roll bar and 17x8 rims w/ yokahoma avs 255/45/17 tires, and since it's a convertible it has "subframe" connectors, I was thinking it might cure my craving for drag racing if I were to autocross it.

But, until I get the Iroc running, I guess I'll go see how the GN corners on the 1.7 mile road coarse. There are Z06's running in the 1:30's.

A TTA finished first place in F-Stock a couple years back kicking the crap out of all the 4th gens :D

Hoepfully Rogue Leader will see this thread, he Auto-X's his TTA with VERY good results :)

Roc87,
I used to autocross a TTA in the f-stock class on street tires(comp t/a zr's) I would do ok and finish about mid pack in the class. I switched to a 4th gen z28...stock and I would finish in the top 3-4 and won a couple of events.
Going to R1 tires really helped also.
It was too hard to stay into boost for me, where the 4th gen had instantaneous torque and easier to modulate. I tried a different chip with quicker boost(thrasher) and that helped a little, especially if you wanted to hang the tail out.
I had fun either way, people couldn't believe I was autocrossing a rare car....but hey that is what it is for.
Have fun and do it.
Later,
James

Thanks for the replys, the gates open @ 8 on Sunday morning, so I'll be there with the GN. BOTLFED said he'd take the camcorder, that way I'll have proof that I'm probably better at driving a straight line than turning :eek: . It should be fun, hope I don't tear up my new BFG G-Force T/A too bad! Too bad no matter how hard I work on the Iroc on Saturday it wouldn't be ready by Sunday.

Eric,

The car is a blast on a road coarse. Autocrossing in the cone dodge sense is a little difficult with the car due to the turbo lag and then tons of boost when you might not want it. Pedaling around a road coarse takes some getting used to but when it's done right the car can be easily put into 4-wheel drifts under power without any problems. BTW, I run the BFG G-force KDW tires myself and I love 'em. I'm considering stepping up to 17 x 9.5 rims with 275s all around.

BH_01_79.jpg
BH_01_80.jpg
BH_01_81.jpg

Ron, those are some nice looking pics, looks like you were having a blast.

Took the GN out to the road course on Sunday, glazed over the brake pads fairly soon, then I didn't really push the car all that hard, never did break the 2: minute mark of the track. Even my friend in his '91 RS was running 1:55. Yeah, I was the "slowest" car there. I'm sure if the brakes would have held up, I could have at least got a 1:50. I'm really looking forward to getting the Iroc running, then we'll see who's in front of the vette!:D

Originally posted by Turbota6
Eric,

The car is a blast on a road coarse. Autocrossing in the cone dodge sense is a little difficult with the car due to the turbo lag and then tons of boost when you might not want it. Pedaling around a road coarse takes some getting used to but when it's done right the car can be easily put into 4-wheel drifts under power without any problems. BTW, I run the BFG G-force KDW tires myself and I love 'em. I'm considering stepping up to 17 x 9.5 rims with 275s all around.

BH_01_79.jpg
BH_01_80.jpg
BH_01_81.jpg

nice pics of your car did you ever notice that in the first photo it looks like you have the front rims on the back and the back rims on the front the ones that so less rim lip go on the back and the ones that show more rim lip go on the front just a observation

george

George,

Yes, I do have the rims reversed. They were like that when I bought the car many years ago and I never saw a reason to change them. Everyone that I know that has the rims in the "proper" place has a problem with the fronts rubbing under full lock or near full lock. I've never had that problem. The only drawback I've seen is that the rears do tend to kick up a bit more rubber and debris on the quarters.

As far as brakes go on a road coarse, they were by far the weakest link my first time out. Do yourself a favor and invest in some good pads, very good brake fluid (550 degree boiling point or better) and stainless steel brake lines help too. If you can squeeze in some brake cooling ducts it will make your day at the track more enjoyable and more importantly SAFE!