Automotive aftermarket replacement products (appearance) and who makes them?

Toby_Goodmk

Test Fit officianto
Hello,

I have been a member here for about 5 years now, and have owned and restored many Gbody cars over the past few years. A couple years back I had the opportunity to get a GN, and jumped at the chance. The GN was bad, it needed doors, floors, trunk, TTOP header panel, bumpers....pretty much everything. Why would I want a car like this??? Two reasons. I dont part rare cars...as well as I am the Goodmark Product Development Manager in charge of bringing restoration product to the aftermarket. Before being granted this position I had held a few positions over the past 15 years making crash related products for the aftermarket. I procured lighting, bumpers, fenders, mirrors, steel, etc. I sat on many committees in the liking of ICAR, CAPA, NACE, partslink, etc...just to name a few. For those which wonder the organizations...quality assurance and accountability.

Now back to the real reason for the thread.

I have been pretty quiet on this forum not to disclose whom I am and whom I work for. However, this evening the product I helped develop was associated with China. Where as Chinese items are readily available, and quality is good....and the norm for internal, and chassis parts....nothing can be further from the truth on the body parts. We do not make products which I have developed in China. They are all made in Denmark, Canada, Taiwan, and the USA.

I can speak for Goodmark, as I am an employee. I can share and tell you what you want answers about. I can tell you whom is the manufacturers (which you wouldnt know anyways) but am willing to let you know. Ill tell you what the product is made from, how thick the steel is, what type of primer (EDP) is used....which is PPG by the way. I'll show you tooling pictures, chrome processes which is the best in the world.

Goodmark with it's mfg overseas, Canada, and abroad has about 10 million in tooling for our GN,.....that's right! It's not cheap stuff

Whom ever distributor you buy your product from, you can buy from the person you like to. If its a Goodmark, it has quality engineered into it.

Let me know if you have any doubt where this stuff is made. I know the truth, because I created it!

p.s. Your Acer laptop is made right next to the factory making the bumper fillers for us, and they share manufacturing and materials.

And you thought there was just auto parts factories making autoparts????

p.s.s The Apple Ipod you are using is not made in a factory name Apple factory. It is made for Apple from many factories.

Last edited:
I only stated China instead of Taiwan cause to me it's the same thing. Call me an ignorant Polack if you want but it's an overseas manufactured part end of story. I purchased a set of Goodmark front fillers and they fit perfect! It doesn't make sense to start an argument about non US produced items. We use them everyday. I'm glad the aftermarket parts are in much better quality than what little parts were made 10 yrs ago. I also just purchased a set if marker lights which do say made in China on them. I like other people wish it said made in the USA but its the reality of doing business here in this country. Going back I can't argue with the quality of these items they are top notch. I do believe you might need to turn it down a little and have a snickers bar!!
"Let me know if you have any doubt where this stuff is made. I know the truth, because I created it!"
You have a god complex when your hungry!

There is a huge difference in Taiwan and China in means of quality and technology so they are not the same. God complex??? No, however I do know where most if not all is being made. I even know your lights you purchased were from NOS4GN, and they are from the original molds, in China, Guangdong province probably. I like to set the story straight when the quality concern is brought up about parts being made elsewhere than the USA. Trust me, we have parts made here too, and parts that have raw materials made in the USA. The other post about the fillers really stuck a nerve with me and a bashing about what I know to be untrue.

What can you tell me about tailgates for a 1967-1972 Chevrolet, fleetside? How do the aftermarket tailgates compare to an original?

There are a couple manufacturers making the tailgate. If you buy one get the one that is GM restoration verified as it is a newer tooling and the quality is better.