auuuuugghhhh!

DeltaBravo

Retired U.S. Army/Navy
all this money and time...and now the fans aren't working!

I've done a lot of work lately and spent quite a bit of money too. Just to get kicked in the balls again....but I'm not giving up!

Recently replaced the engine harness with a new one from Caspers and radiator from Alcorad. The fans worked before and after the work preformed. Took the buick to get the A/C serviced...they found two leaks both at each port. Replaced bad o-rings and service the system. After the work was completed, he told me "everything is good to go, the fan's turn on when they should...your all set".

After driving away, that's when I noticed she was running hotter than normal (in the city), but would cool down on the highway.

Preliminary trouble shooting revealed- Fans not turning on at either the "ecm" temp (168ish) or when I turn the a/c on. Used an multi-meter and found no power at the fan plug. Went to the relays, and I have no power from the main (red) power wire.

What next? Where does that main (red) power wire go to from the relays?

Thanks

Here is the schematic I am using.

Attachments

• cooling_fan_circuit.jpg.pdf
    85.3 KB · Views: 70
cut out old burnt link wire and replace

Man this sucks! Bran-Spank'n new wire harness that I got to go cut up...

forgive me for my ignorance, but when I replace the link...what am I replacing it with? just regular wire?...or is there something I need to specifically get at a part store?

Thanks again pacecarta!

Do you have aftermarket dual fans? Did you check the fan plug?

Yes, I have dual fans...why?

I did check at the plug...no power! and then at the relay...no power! I believe one of the 'fuse links' located at the battery blew.

Check the dual fan harness for fuses before your go cutting the engine harness. There should be 2 fuses probably 30 amps.

Check the dual fan harness for fuses before your go cutting the engine harness. There should be 2 fuses probably 30 amps.

I don't think I have any fuses for the fans specifically...but I will check. Just keep in mind, I am not getting power to the relays...so that means no power to the fans. I believe the fuse link at the battery is blown...why it's blown...dunno, that's another issue!

he has the casper engine harness
if theres no power at the large red wire (fan power) at the fan relays... its a fusible link '
if no power at the thin red for the relay coil with key on... its the rlys fuse inside the car

keep in mind if the fusible link burned there was a short in the wiring leading from the starter or an overdraw from the fans and youll need to find and correct that or youll just burn up the links again

Last edited: