You can type here any text you want

Aux Trany Cooler Ideas?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

HighMileage

Albany,NY
Is there any type of aux tranny cooler that is being used by you guys other than the type that attaches to the front of the AC condenser? Imperial or Hayden makes those types of coolers,and that's what I usually use on my other cars. They come with the log plastic strips and the locking circle thingys that push on. Then run the lines to it.

I'm looking for something different for my GN. Is there anything else out there?

If not,I'm gonna have to take out my radiator and install one of the ones described above. I'd rather not run those plastic things thru both the radiator and the condenser.

Thanks!

I mounted mine with a few zipties to the x brace in front of condensor...been like that for years and has really effective placement the hoses were also rediculously easy to run through the passenger side around radiator....very invasive and took all of 15 minutes

I mounted mine with a few zipties to the x brace in front of condensor...been like that for years and has really effective placement the hoses were also rediculously easy to run through the passenger side around radiator....very invasive and took all of 15 minutes
Did the same thing with a B&M cooler but it was large enough that the X brace actually holds it against the rad pretty well. Just took some fuel hose and wrapped it around the X brace bars to keep it from rubbing a hole in the cooler or lines.

I mounted mine with adel clamps.

46276d1277590470-day-life-earl-im002717.jpg

I mounted mine with adel clamps.

Hmmmm.. I have all different sized adel clamps,but with my header panel still on,that install will be difficult.

On a side note.. I DO need a header panel. Mine is a hood ornament type. I can see where the holes were. That drives me nutz. No one else has ever noticed them,but I do. I posted a thread about feedback on header panels that are available. No solid answers on fit. Was interested in the g-body.com one.

Earl,what is that other cooler? It must be an oil cooler? Does that run thru the heat exchanger in the rad,then thru that? ...or does it stand alone?

Hmmmm.. I have all different sized adel clamps,but with my header panel still on,that install will be difficult.

Earl,what is that other cooler? It must be an oil cooler? Does that run thru the heat exchanger in the rad,then thru that? ...or does it stand alone?

you can bolt or rivet two adel clamps together hook the tubes to the X braces for a pretty sanitary setup. That's how I had mine mounted before I got that oil cooler and was running a bigger tranny cooler.

That was a stand alone oil cooler I got off of a NECKCAR. Turns out the damn thing leaked so I'm only running the tranny cooler right now. I had to remove the sammich adapter and biggie kit until I get another cooler.

Most I know mount them on an angle under the radiator support where the stock intercooler scoop use to sit.

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1394521301.111082.jpg

Here's mine mounted in front of the big azz FMIC

Just reposting this thread. There are a few great ideas here,but possibly there are others.

It's time for an aux cooler. A Stage 2 just arrived from Lonnie,plus some jerk backed into the front of my GN a few days ago resulting in almost $3,000 in damage.

The ruined bumper,etc has to come off. Great time to install a cooler.

Are there any more good tranny cooler ideas out there? Now is the time to buy.

Thanks.

Last edited:
This is my set up and the type of tranny cooler being used
I used a couple of "U" clamps from Home Depot and bolted as shown

Attachments

• Picture 104.jpg
    Picture 104.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 283
  • Picture 100.jpg
    Picture 100.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 238
  • Picture 103.jpg
    Picture 103.jpg
    908.3 KB · Views: 238
  • Picture 004A.jpg
    Picture 004A.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 267
I made an aluminum bracket to mount the trans cooler to the aluminum radiator support, and I mounted the power steering/HB cooler with adel clamps on the X brace like earl did.

This is my set up and the type of tranny cooler being used
I used a couple of "U" clamps from Home Depot and bolted as shown

Thanks for the suggestion. Why did you use the 4543 and not the bigger 4544? Is the 44 a problem to mount there?

RJC FMIC is to the left and Fbody Radiator to the right.

transcooler.JPG

Back