You can type here any text you want

Axle seals

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

dvernst

I had someone change the wheel bearings and seals in my rear end. I have it apart right now again, and I was wondering if the seals are supposed to be flush on the outside? There is 4 washers (1 for each bolt) spacing the plate out that holds the axles in. Are these washers supposed to be there? It doesn't look like they are to me. Thanks

Thats what ya get for being lazy.. now your having to do it yourself and guess. :rolleyes:

My recollection is no.Retainer is flush with housing.

Razor said:
Thats what ya get for being lazy.. now your having to do it yourself and guess. :rolleyes:

My recollection is no.Retainer is flush with housing.
I wasn't trying to be lazy. I've never done it before, and I wanted to make sure it was done right. Well I guess it backfired. I've got it all apart now though. I"m getting a crash course in this rear end. I have a different ring and pinion i'm putting in it. The specs for the pinion bearing pre-load are 12-25 in. lbs. Do you know if that means that is what I torque the nut to that holds the yoke on? Thanks

That yoke takes mega FT LBS.

I've never done a ring and pinion on a 9 bolt. I'm pretty sure you will need to set backlash and may have to "crush" the collar on the pinion... Then see about setting pinion depth.

I'm out as it goes beyond what I know :)

Good luck.

Back