backfiring

helrazr

i intalled a 3.5 inch ported (no screens) ls1 maf and the transaltor plus in today(1987 turbo t) don't know if it is the cause of it but it starts fine and sometimes if i warm it up it just stalls and won't start. so being warmed up on the highway if i give it a good shot of fuel get the boost up is bucks and backfires no codes come up any thoughts. my fuel is from last fall could that be causing it (premium) the translator is adjusted as follows turn dials are all 0 and the switches are on on on off. and the chip is stock. the timing wires are not hooked up. thanks. ( it ran fine before)

any one have any ideas. :biggrin:

it's been a while since I switched from MAF with translator to speed density but if I remember right if your maf translator settings were wrong it would run bad all the time also it may not be with stock chip but some chips out there do not like screen removed from maf , it screws up calibration big time , also most often backfire issues are traced to ignition problem , like bad coil ,hope it helps a little

Could be your ported and de-screened maf if it ran fine before the changes you could change it back and see if it clears up. I would also get a modern chip burned for your combo if that is the stock chip you are running. Also get some fresh fuel in there!!

backfire while cranking the engine to start is usually related to a crank sensor problem.

it's been a while since I switched from MAF with translator to speed density but if I remember right if your maf translator settings were wrong it would run bad all the time also it may not be with stock chip but some chips out there do not like screen removed from maf , it screws up calibration big time , also most often backfire issues are traced to ignition problem , like bad coil ,hope it helps a little

I'M GOING TO TRY TO SWITCH BACK TO THE STOCK MAF AGAIN. AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS. I ALSO THOUGHT ABOUT THE IGNITION THERE IS A HOLE IN THE HOOD JUST ABOVE THE COIL PACK AND MODULE.WHERE THERE WAS A FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE. NEVER HAD THE CAR IN THE RAIN BUT UNFORTUNATELY I HAS TO SIT OUSIDE KNOW, UNLESS THE RAIN AND MOISTURE IS CAUSING THE PROBLEM. THANKS

easy coil test

test the coil pack, with digital multimeter. check resistance across towers should be 10-12K, any more than 12K coil is bad or going bad.

Could be your ported and de-screened maf if it ran fine before the changes you could change it back and see if it clears up. I would also get a modern chip burned for your combo if that is the stock chip you are running. Also get some fresh fuel in there!!

THE CAR HAS AN OLDER TURBO TWEAK CHIP IN IT (ABOUT 5 YEARS OLD), AND THE TRANSLATOR PLUS HAS THE REGULAR CHIP IN IT NOT THE EXTENDER CHIP. (I THINK) THANKS

i put the stock maf back on it and it is running fine i am going to order a new LS1 maf hopefully that cures the problem and hopefully it is not the translator plus box as well.