You can type here any text you want

Backing Plate Repair

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

larrym

West Coast Newfy
Had an issue with my wheel cylinder shifting apparently brake boosting is hard on them....

Found reference to a "clamp" or retaining system but no part number and the locals part stores looked at me some what stunned when I asked.

If you find this in a search you are looking for
Raybestos GMB25851 Professional Grade Drum Brake Wheel Cylinder Bracket

515nzKX58jL._SL1000_.jpg

I recently found these on Rockauto they had the best price. You can get them from NAPA but they will cost a little bit more.

how would these help at all: the wheel cylinder fits into a machined hole in the axle flange that is welded to the axle tube, which takes all the braking force..

Saves you having to pull the axles when the backing plate wears and wheel cylinders start to rotate.

It figures it's a Raybestos part they have the worst brake parts out there. There wheel cylinders are poor quality and their parking brake cables don't fit. Probably need this bracket to hold the wheel cylinder down so it does not shift and wet the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I installed new NAPA wheel cylinders and these brackets this week. They eliminate having to use the retaining clips that come with the wheel cylinders that hold them in place and are a PITA to get on.

The brackets are very well made and easy to install. You use a 15/64'' drill bit to drill 2 holes in the backing plate on the drivers and passengers side and then screw in the 2 self tapping bolts to hold the brackets on.

Last edited:
I still installed the pita clip it's a lot easier to install with the bracket holding the wheel cylinder in place

I put the clips in the trashcan where they belong. No need for them with the brackets installed.(y)

Back