You can type here any text you want

Backspacing questions...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Well I just crunched the actual numbers instead of estimating, and if you went with the 3.5" backspacing in the front, the lip would literally be about 0.01" bigger than the rear. I don't think you, or anyone else, would be able to notice the difference and tell that the front had a bigger lip.

So if you're fine with having the lips look the same size all the way around (and you were asking about using the same size for all four corners in the first place, so the lips would have all been the same), I think you can pull it off with the 17x8s (3.5bs) and 17x9s (4.5bs).

Geez...after all that confusing math, it seems pretty obvious looking at the numbers I just typed.

17x8s (3.5bs) and 17x9s (4.5bs)
The rear wheel is 1 inch wider...but also has 1 more inch for backspacing, so the outside lip of the wheel is going to appear the same. Durrrrrrrrr. :redface:

Sounds good to me!! .01" bigger is so marginal I don't think anyone or myself would notice! Aside from all that, I'm running GTAs now, so they're the exact same wheel on all four corners--to that end, I don't mind having the deep dish being the same or about the same on all 4.

17x8s 3.5 and 17x9 4.5 for the "aggressive" look! Thanks, man... you definitely helped a TON!!! I'll be sure to post pix as I think I'm FINALLY getting this thing in order...

No problem, I enjoy trying to figure this stuff out. I wouldn't even worry about the .01", that just comes about from converting the offset from Millimeters to Inches when I was doing the math. I'd just base it on the backspacing. Rear wheel is 1" wider, but that 1" is concealed on the backside of the wheel, so all 4 wheels will look the same on the outside. Makes sense to me.

If I'm wrong, this conversation never happened. ;)

"4.5" backspacing on 8" wide rim is about as far as I'd like to go and even that is too much in my opinion (3.5" to 4.0" is ideal). 4.75" backspacing on either the front or the rear would suck the wheels in too far, they wouldn't look good, and would put the tire in danger of rubbing the frame in the rear or having the rim rub the upper control arm in the front when the wheel is cut all the way."

I might go with the tried and true... 17x8 4" BS up front. With an Eibach and taller upper/lower ball joint lowered car rub with taht configuration? The rear, I'll do 17x9.5s with the tried and true 4.75"BS. Hopefully that will achieve that aggressive stance once and for all!

:biggrin:

That's the one thing I don't know about, lowered cars. They'd still fit on the car, just might rub easier around turns.

All good, appreciate the honesty! Hey--what's the difference between a 9.5 and 8 inch rim aside from the 1.5 inches? Traction-wise, does it matter or is it more in the other parts of the rear suspension setup (control arms, braces, tires)?

I think you'd have to be pushing a lot of power for the difference between an 8" rim and a 9.5" rim to really make a difference. But I don't know what you have done to your car. You could probably put a 275 drag radial on an 8 inch rim and unless you're pushing a ton of power, they won't spin.

Rear suspension plays a big part in it too. Pinion snubber, braces, air bags, and suspension parts will make more of a difference in traction than having a rim that's 1.5" wider.

You've helped me a ton and saved me a few hundred with that bit!!! Yea, I'll either do a 275 Nitto or that other regular radial that a recent thread was about (had a bunch of handling enthusiasts singing its praises). Thanks again, T6C. For what it's worth, the car is pretty modded:

Heads;
Intake/TB;
CPTE60;
10" 3200 stall;
009s;
Alky (24 psi);
Downpipe;
Intercooler.

About all the performance stuff right there. If it's bad (the spinning), I'll consider doing higher gears... 3.23 or 3.08 but that's another thread when all the suspension is done! I'll be sure to post pics of the wheels... before AND after powder coatage! ;-)

:-D

EDIT: After all this talk, looks like it'll be 17x8 4" BS on all four corners!

17x9 front/rear with 275/40 rear and 245/45 front

These are 17x9 Halibrand "Deep Lip III" with 275/40/17 rear and 245/45/17 front. These wheels have a 22mm offset and I used 1.25" adapters to install them. They fit great "nice stance" with NO rubs (car is not lowered). I can check the backspace later today if you like. These wheels are FOR SALE with ZERO miles (tires still have stickers on them) the wheels are "true" halibrands and the chrome finish is excellent. I went with 18" black center wheels.

Halibrand complete.jpg

Halibrand rear.jpg

Halibrand rear qtr.jpg

Back