bad coil pack

kmart17

was driving the gn home from the track and it just died, tried to start it and it would crank but not start, popped the hood and was looking around checking fuel pressure and heard a crackling coming from the pack, took off the harness connector and it stopped put it back on and it started making the noise again (key on), any opinions would be appreciated, thanks

it's fixed now, yeah the coil definately got to hot and fried the module, as it was melted like a m/f, started right up, even idles a little better now, at least I can troubleshoot good, thanks for black ballin me here :D

kmart17 said:
it's fixed now, yeah the coil definately got to hot and fried the module, as it was melted like a m/f, started right up, even idles a little better now, at least I can troubleshoot good, thanks for black ballin me here :D

I wish mine would do that so I could replace it and eliminate it from my list of potential issues! Glad to hear somebody can work on these things because it sure seems like I can't! :confused:

it is just the only thing I am halfway descent at, and I hate working on cars :) , that don't make a bit of sense

What kind of coil did you have? I was using a wells (crap) coil and it got hot and died. Then I replaced, now I have miss. Module? It is a Wells also..

I have come to the conclusion 90% of the type igntions have a miss in them. I dont; know what to tell you, buy the caspers tester to be sure. I have checked about 7 now and about 5 have showed a miss. Even a brand new module out of the box has a miss. I have changed the coils also, and most of the time its the module.

How about the type II ignitions? I read on the www.gnttype.org website what parts you need to make the switch but is the type II any better? The website doesn't really say...

sorry, was out of town, if anybody still cares, the one that burnt up appeared to be factory, if that is believable, I threw a sorenson on there, wasn't going to pay $110 for a delco, I will take my chances for $47, and $205 for a delco ign. module as opposed to $105 not that hardcore delco :biggrin: