Bad Valve Springs - Lifter Clack?

DaveyX87

My stock 86 GN sat for over 10 years before I got it. The valve springs have never been replaced. I plan to do this very soon as I believe they are the root of another issue I'm having. Lately I have noticed a little bit of lifter noise on the driver side, a slight click clack. Will changing the valve springs likely fix this issue? Thanks

It sounds like you have a collapsed lifter or two.

That diagnosis is only speculation as I HAVEN'T heard what you describe.

It sounds like the most likely cause as you describe that the car sat for a long period of time, and therefore the lifter will drain it's oil after time.

Sometimes they will pump back up on their own, sometimes not.

Plan on new lifters when you do the springs if the noise doesn't go away.

I'll probably catch some crap for posting this.....but I've fixed several lifter taps in various engines with a cup full of ATF added to the oil. Free up the lifter and you can then change the oil if you wish. Not saying thats your problem, just throwing it out there.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

years ago I had a lifter 'collapse' while I waited two weeks to get replacement rocker shafts. During that time they sat unloaded so there was no pressure on the lifter cups. After a few days of driving I got pissed off hearing that rattle bounce off the side of the McDonalds building in the drive-thu. i pulled out onto the highway and left about 40 yards of drag at full throttle. The lifter shut up.

I don't recommend that method, but it worked for me.

But first I would pull the valve cover on the noisy side and check two things. One, make sure the plastic buttons that hold the rockers centered are all intact. If one of them breaks, the rocker can move and bend a pushrod. Two, look at the ends of the rocker shafts. The outside most rocker is unsupported on both side and the rocker shaft likes to break at the bolt hole. That will allow the end to curl up and induce rattle.

If it has the stock cam there is a chance one of the lobes/lifters is worn down. In this case you could loose some pre load resulting in a loose rocker.

I would not use new lifters on a used cam...Just sayin.

Why not?

If he just has bad [collapsed] lifters and no damage [cupping of the lifer] or such then just replacing lifters is okay.

If the cam is worn it should show on the lifter.

I have done it many times over the past 30 years and never had one problem.

I just pump them up or soak them in oil for a couple days before installing them.

Now if he wants to pull the cover off and spend more money than have at it.

I think that he can get the ones in the motor to pump up and avoid the whole replacement ordeal if he pours a can of marvel in there for a couple hundred miles and then changes the oil.

On the other hand he could just go roller so he doesn't have to add ZDDP at every oil change like some do.

It depends on how deep his pockets are and or if he wants to upgrade his valvetrain.

If I go back 30 years I might be inclined to swap out just a lifter on something cheep like a plain ole SBC....

But with today's iffy lifters, there's no way I'd risk an engine, turbo, oil cooler and crank to save a few hundred bucks.