You can type here any text you want

Balancer question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

buickruss

Im swapping engine parts from my old 3.8 to a rebuilt long block. First question arose when I removed the crank bolt. Behind the flat steel washer was a rubber washer. Does it belong there? Its a bit chewed up so where could I find a replacement? I also expected the balancer to slide off easily like on a 455. Wont budge. Does this need heat, a hammer or a special tool to remove? These are the first in what will probably be a long list of questions

Attachments

• Balancer1733.jpg
    Balancer1733.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 188
The rubber washer may have been used from the factory when the engine was assembled,i don't know for sure. I do know mine doesn't have one any longer if it did, no problem without it though.

The balencer/hub is supposed to be able to slide off,but they always fit tight to me so i use a balencer puller that i rent from Autozone from their loan-a-tool program. Basically you give them a deposit for the tool and when you return it you get all your money back,really a good deal.

No problem with the puller. Now I have a question on reassembly. I did a thread search on sealant for the front cover bolts so they dont leak oil. Lots of different ideas. I will use Permatex Ultra Black unless theres something better out there now.

Russ

no problem with the puller. Now i have a question on reassembly. I did a thread search on sealant for the front cover bolts so they dont leak oil. Lots of different ideas. I will use permatex ultra black unless theres something better out there now.

i use high temp copper unless its high temp the heat will shrink it .. If you need tools and what not let me know i have about every tool made at my repair shop on miami ..

Thanks for the offer. I will let you know if theres anything I need. I go past that shop sometimes, never see any buicks sitting out. I used to live on Ewing so I know how the neighborhood is

Back