You can type here any text you want

Balancing deep rims pt. 2

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BlackMetal

In my last thread I discussed my problem with getting my new wheels to balance. 15x8 wheels with stock GN tire size 215/whatever it is. I'd put them on the balancer and it would ask for tons of weight, like 3ozs, then 1.25ozs in the exact same spot, then another oz....I had thirty damn weights stuck to the wheel.

Contuining the story....

So last night UPS brought my rear wheels, 15x10s. Already had the MT Drag Radials waiting in the basement. So I took them to work today to mount/balance. Said to myself if the front wheels were asking for strange amounts of weight for the balancing, these rear wheels would probably be even worse. All along I've been assuming it's these cheap-o rims that I bought, thinking they must be the cause of the balance problem.

I mount one tire, toss is on the balancer, get a niiiice simple reading of .5oz on the inside wheel lip. Stick the weight on, spin it to verify, perfect balance. Mount the second tire, on to the balancer, it asks for a bit more weight this time behind the spokes, ended up being about 2oz or something, but still, it worked, it came out balanced.

So, with that said, it doesn't look like it's the wheels that are causing me the headache. The rear rims with new drag radials balanced in one try.

So using simple logic...the only difference between the front and back wheels is that I used "old" tires on the front that had been mounted on my stock GN wheels for few months. I took those wheels off late last summer when I got my 18s, and they've been stored until now. Could something have happened to the tires in that time span? I know if you leave a car in one spot long enough you can get a flat spot in the tire but these were off the car, I wouldn't think the tire would distort under it's own weight in just 5 or 6 months. But even when rolling the wheel across the shop floor at work it seemed like they wobbled, like there was a high spot or something.

I did take a look at the front tires to see if there was a designation for lining the tire up with the valve stem but there is none, so if there was a tempory paint mark or anything, it's worn off.

To summarize, the rear 15x10s with 325/50 tires balanced in one shot. Both front wheels gave me a headache never wanting to come out balanced. My only guess is something about the front tires.

My only ideas so far are to try balancing the front wheels using the "road force variation" feature on our machine, which should account for high spots, etc. Either that or mount the fronts unbalanced for a few days and drive the car, just to get them spinning again since they were stored for a while.

Opinions/ideas?
The sooner I figure something out the sooner I can take pix of the new wheeeels.

P.S. See... I'm not just a moron who can't use a tire balancer.

Tires

I'd break them loose on the rim and re clock or dismount and put on the other way and try it again. And air them up and spin by hand pry flat spotted or a shifted belt youll see the tread shift or a dip in it usually.

Steve

If it balances poorly, break the bead, index it 180 degrees and try balancing again. If it is still bad, go 90 degrees and try again. If still bad do 180 degrees. If it STILL is bad, then you have other probs. Weight on a wheel and smooth rolling beats no weight and the tire looking like its out of round on the balancer.
My $.02 is make it roll round, get it w/ in .5 oz, and ride it a few miles. Sometimes they just need a few miles to make them behave.

Back