You can type here any text you want

Balancing "deep" rims

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
maybe you just need to get an older machine that is more user friendly?

I think thats where the problem started. LOL. Sounds like his experienced tech learned on the old machine and wasn't familiar with all of the features on the new, more advanced machine. I have access to both types. Sometimes I swear I get better results with the older version. :cool:

i had the Fuzions put on the GTA rims for the T Type...

Are those Fuzion ZRis? How do you like those tires?

I learned to balance tires by putting them on the balancing thing with the little air bubble in the middle and hammering the little weights on. I have no idea how any of those other machines work.

I learned to balance tires by putting them on the balancing thing with the little air bubble in the middle and hammering the little weights on. I have no idea how any of those other machines work.

Yeah, I wish I had access to a bubble balancer, would probably do me more good in this situation. I'm off tomorrow so I guess I'll bring the wheels Friday and try one more time.

Are those Fuzion ZRis? How do you like those tires?

yeah, they are the ZRi's. i like them for what they are- cheap speed rated tires.
they are good in the rain and mud we see around here from time to time, and they were able to hook up the 400hp my Nova had to the ground.
the T Type won't even hardly spin them unless i do a heavy duty brake stand.

There are limits to what those machines will deal with correctly WRT to a dynamic balance.

A dynamic balance the tire is spun up and the machine tries to figure out what the imbalance is on both the outside and inside lip of the wheel. Even on a reasonable setup you might find that it will give you one or 2 additional locations to put weight in… sometimes it’s just a matter of you not getting the hub on perfectly straight or tight enough, sometimes that’s just what it takes for the machine to figure it out.

Somewhere around 17x9 or so these things start getting cranky and when I just balanced my 18x110.5’s and 17x9.5’s the other day I didn’t even bother, I just set it to static and it basically only checks which side of the tire/rim is imbalanced and figures that you’ll put the weight about the center line of the wheel. I’ve never had an issue with using that setting, and even with big wheels/tires it usually gets it on the first spin up (if the rim takes over 2oz to balance most machines will only tell you 2oz the first time and then you’ll get the rest the second time around, I did have one that I put 2oz on the first time and then the second time around it wanted another .5oz right in the same spot.)

Thanks for your input JYDog, I will try again at work soon and may just settle for a static balance. Might as well try and see if I get any vibration in the steering. Can always take the wheels off and try something else.

Back