Ban Barry Bonds?

Originally posted by bishir
I agree, but I've taken a new view on current professional athletics. I think they shoud ALLOW STEROIDS. I want to see what to see how fast and how much these guys can really do!:D

I know that was meant to be funny, but the sad part is people would try to max out if they were allowed. I think the bigger issue at hand is what type of role models do these athletes set for our youth. Like it or not, children idolize them.

I believe there is a certain responsibility in being a professional athlete. So many of them don't set good examples and are of poor moral character. It has existed through history. Ty Cobb supposedly killing a man, Babe Ruth and Mantle were both drunks. The list could goes on up to now Bonds "the greatest player of all time" taking steriods. People need to take responsibility for their actions and pay the consequences. If that consequence is being stripped of the records, so be it. He new the risks going into it.

Later,

Steve.

Originally posted by RBE17
I know that was meant to be funny, but the sad part is people would try to max out if they were allowed. I think the bigger issue at hand is what type of role models do these athletes set for our youth. Like it or not, children idolize them.

I believe there is a certain responsibility in being a professional athlete. So many of them don't set good examples and are of poor moral character. It has existed through history. Ty Cobb supposedly killing a man, Babe Ruth and Mantle were both drunks. The list could goes on up to now Bonds "the greatest player of all time" taking steriods. People need to take responsibility for their actions and pay the consequences. If that consequence is being stripped of the records, so be it. He new the risks going into it.

Later,

Steve.

You're right. I can't think of a kid that doesn't have a favorite sport or professional athlete. When I was growing up my favorite player was Jose Canseco. It was pretty sad to later learn about the steriod use. That and his anger control problems which were probably roid rage. Speaking of which, that's probably why there are so many baseball brawls now. Roid Rage!:p

Originally posted by RBE17
Bonds "the greatest player of all time"

I wonder if he'd have that title if he didn't start jacking up his veins w/ the juice in 1998?

Here's some stats on Bonds.

1989-1994 - 4th-9th season of his career (Most peoples prime.)
At Bats/year Average - 502
Batting Average - .300
Homeruns/year Average - 32.3

1999-1994 - 14th-19th season of his career
At Bats/year Average - 412.8
Batting Average - .328
Homeruns/year Average - 48.6 (He gets walked a lot too.)

His numbers have greatly improved since he started the roids. All that w/ an average of 90 less at bats per year.

I know. It's like having a "who can stay awake the longest contest".
Everyone has to do it w/ the help of coffee and loud music, but that guy in the corner is going to get coffee, music and a 2 week's supply of Crystal Meth.;)

Originally posted by ghall
Todays athletes are FAR superior to those of yesterday.They face FAR superior pitching and fielding than years ago.Bonds is the greatest baseball player we have seen.Steroids or not--he is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geoff

Not really look at his 4th-9th year stats above. These years are most always a players golden years. Hell there are tons of guys who have averaged .300 and 35hr / year.

Originally posted by Blwn87
HE CAN STILL HIT THE BALL IN THE SWEET SPOT CANT HE?:confused: :confused: :confused:

Yes he can. He was always above average, even for a pro. He was/is a good player. There is no doubting that.
But hitting the sweet spot has more to do w/ just "keeping your eye on the ball" and concentration. It has to do w/ being in a good enough physical state to get your upper body and hands around to make proper contact w/ the ball. Most all older hitters lose this ability w/ age, because, for a lack of better words, their bodies are old. Their bodies do not rehabilitate as quickly as younger bodies do. They also aren't as responsive as younger bodies. They don't see the same results from working out as younger bodies do. This is exactly where steroids come in. They will allow an older body to respond just as well, and usually better to a workout. They also repair muscle quick, which results in less injuries, or common physical pain caused by constant stress on body parts.

Most pros can "hit the sweet spot". Why do you think they are pros?

Originally posted by ghall
Todays athletes are FAR superior to those of yesterday.They face FAR superior pitching and fielding than years ago.Bonds is the greatest baseball player we have seen.Steroids or not--he is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geoff

BTW, It has been said again and again that there has been a good lack of good pitching in the last 5-7 years.
Plus, their have been quite a few homerun friendly ballparks being built in the past 10 years.

Originally posted by ross87t
I wonder if he'd have that title if he didn't start jacking up his veins w/ the juice in 1998?

Personally, I think he should have the "Biggest A$$hole of All Time". I can't stand him. I couldn't stand him when he was w/ the Pirates, either.

Later,

Steve.

MLB should come out and say that Barry Bond's and anyone else's records that were achieved by any form of cheating will not be used and recognized. Do this now so that as Barry wraps up his career he can get the "honor" that is due him as he visits all the MLB cities that the Giants will play in.

As far as I am concerned the record by Maris and Ruth still stands. Sosa and McGuire were juiced also. If you don't think so, you are crazy.

You people are idiots if you think athletes wernt using drugs back in the day, they used to smoke meth to keep them up for games.

Steroids do not help you hit a baseball. It might be the difference between a 480ft and a 400ft home run, but it dosen't matter how far it goes over the wall. If you weigh 120 lbs and you have the hand-eye coordination to hit a 95mph pitch in the sweet spot you're going to hit a lot of home runs.

Originally posted by rpk250
Steroids do not help you hit a baseball. It might be the difference between a 480ft and a 400ft home run, but it dosen't matter how far it goes over the wall. If you weigh 120 lbs and you have the hand-eye coordination to hit a 95mph pitch in the sweet spot you're going to hit a lot of home runs.

Like I said above...Yes they do.
"hitting the sweet spot has more to do w/ just "keeping your eye on the ball" and concentration. It has to do w/ being in a good enough physical state to get your upper body and hands around to make proper contact w/ the ball. Most all older hitters lose this ability w/ age, because, for a lack of better words, their bodies are old. Their bodies do not rehabilitate as quickly as younger bodies do. They also aren't as responsive as younger bodies. They don't see the same results from working out as younger bodies do. This is exactly where steroids come in. They will allow an older body to respond just as well, and usually better to a workout. They also repair muscle quick, which results in less injuries, or common physical pain caused by constant stress on body parts.

Most pros can "hit the sweet spot". Why do you think they are pros?"

Originally posted by Mackinblack007
You people are idiots if you think athletes wernt using drugs back in the day, they used to smoke meth to keep them up for games.

Never heard this before. Enlighten me. Did they have a team bong or?

If juice isnt being used by alot of players why does the players union protect them????? Corky SOSA is a cheat also. As far a mcguire goes atleast he was taking legal enhancers not steriods he would be the last person I would let stand in the records,the rest are ALL FRAUDS.

Originally posted by chevyII
If juice isnt being used by alot of players why does the players union protect them????? Corky SOSA is a cheat also. As far a mcguire goes atleast he was taking legal enhancers not steriods he would be the last person I would let stand in the records,the rest are ALL FRAUDS.

Sosa is a fraud. The union protects them because of the big $$ all the homeruns produce. Think about it.

If you really think McGuire ONLY took andro you are quite naive. If you look at his early career pictures and compare to end of career you will see his body and head morph like Sosa etc. Had nice clean complexion in his Cardinal days also...:rolleyes:

Sorry, I am not trying to defend Bonds. As a human being,I think he's an ***hole, but I'm sick of people making a big deal about the steroid thing in baseball. All you need to hit a baseball is hand-eye coordination,and steroids have nothing to do with that. Bonds is a great hitter because he can see the ball better than anyone in the league. He walks at a record pace and when he hits the ball he hits line drives on the money. Nothing to do with steroids,and steroids are horrible for flexibility which is key in a swing. Steroids cause many connective tissue tears, such as tendons that attach the muscles to there points of origin and insertion.

rpk250

You might want to do a little more reading about steriods. They have definitely helped B. Bonds. A proper trainning program combined with steroids, increases his strengh and flexibility. No one after the age of 35 puts on 30 lbs of muscle and then doubles their home run output...The mans a CHEATER....

Originally posted by 87We4ster
rpk250

You might want to do a little more reading about steriods. They have definitely helped B. Bonds. A proper trainning program combined with steroids, increases his strengh and flexibility. No one after the age of 35 puts on 30 lbs of muscle and then doubles their home run output...The mans a CHEATER....

BAM!!!!!!!!!

right on brother!!!!!

I don't follow baseball and don't care about Bonds, but with all the news and talk of steriods I was just curious if he ever tested positive for steriods?