Battery Gound Wire(s) ?

Tom Kelly

Just got my 86 back from body and paint. Near perfect, Decided to change to a Delco Battery to finish the under the hood look. I never liked the bright red battery spoiling the original look. While changing I noticed that the small ground wire from the negative terminal was not attached to anything so when the new battery went in I grounded it to one of the bolts along the fender edge just under the hood line. So I got to wonder. What is the effect of that wire not being connected? And are there any other ground wires I should check out? Probably dumb questions but I appreciate any guidance.
Herein some pics of the finished product along with some examples of what you find underneath a seemingly good body when you take it apart. 100_5771.JPG100_5767.JPG100_5804.JPG100_5837.JPG100_5838.JPG

That's a redundant body ground. It backs up the braided ground that runs to the firewall from the engine.

In the factory configuration, there's no grounds that run to the frame.

Thank you. That explains why nothing seemed amiss before and nothing seemed to change after I connected it. Backups however are always a good thing.
Thanks again.

Yes they are good to have. If some how there was only one small path for current the wire can burn and melt causing a fire.