You can type here any text you want

Beat an 04 GTO

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Bluto

A friend of mine just bought a GTO six speed.
He has about 620 miles on it.

I went for a ride and the power of the GTO is quite impressive, and it pulls very nice. I like the feel of the RWD. I haven't felt that in a while considering I am FWD.

Well we decieded to line up for a short run.

Granted he had a passenger and he is stock and my car was cold with very minor mods so......

We took off from a dead stop and I pulled 1/2 a car right away.
Then he started to gain for a second and had to shift .

When he hit 2nd he dropped back down to my rear passenger door. He slowley started to gain, but then just stayed at the middle of my car.

It was dark out so I was un-able to see how fast we were going.

I know he will be able to run me down at higher speeds but a kill is a kill. And I just beat a V8, 350hp, RWD, $33,000 car. :D

I can't wait to add more mods.

The 05s will be faster. They are getting the LS6 405hp, 395torque. From what I have heard, if you want to be faster in the 1/4 get the automatic. In general from what I have observed at the track, not a lot of guys can drive a stick of any make well. I have seen only a handfull of guys that run in the 11s that use a stick.

By the time the 05's come out I will be close to 13.4.
Of course once those LSI's start to get modded then it will be a very different story.

Good kill. The major issue with the GTO manual is the launch. I have talked with a few owners, and driven one. It takes alot to keep traction with the rear two. The auto has launch control on it so it isnt as much of an issue. They are in the 13.6 - 13.8 range for the man, and 13.9-14.1 for the auto. But the auto is waaay more consistant.

Nick

I think that the 05s will be better but i just dont understand rebuilding a legend and not making it straight up bad ass. think if they rebuilt the grand national and made it like the gto i would be pissed.

Its funny you mention the GN.
There was rumor that 04 would launch the Gran National in the Regal W-Body. It was rumored to be a souped up version of the current Supercharged 3.8

As much as I love my Regal GS that would have been a shame if they did that.

Regals died in 2004. It is now the La Crosse. No supercharger, or 3.8. Dam GM.:mad:

Nick

I've raced a GTO as well this summer...it was on the street...he was no contest but then again I'm not really stock...

but the 05' GTO is supposed to get the new LS2 motor...basically 405 horsepower standard and it's getting a new ram air hood, true dual exhaust, better wheels, etc.

I can't ever pick out the current GTO on the street unless I am REALLY looking for it...I've seen a few with ram air hoods and they look much better...but they are HEAVY...i mean you are talking almost 4000 lbs with driver...they aren't that bad for the weight...with some bolts on they are gonna be up in Cobra territory and that is N/A:eek:

They have always had true duals. But the 04 had them exit on the same side. I cant wait to see the 05's.

Nick

rumor has it they are supposed to get a solid axle as well? thought someone told me that...

Even though I beat him a few times. I know the LS1 is a kick ass engine. Even the 04's can be made very fast. I just watched a video of one in the 10's.

badass gto

Hi guys,
These cars are gonna be the next champs in their field. I think the only thing holding them back is price. I test drove one, and it felt as strong as my stocker used to, will expect more if gm doesn't cut it short. We'll see....
Dale

There is no doubt they will be a beast once you weed through the GM de-tuning;)

Originally posted by I eat Z06
Regals died in 2004. It is now the La Crosse. No supercharger, or 3.8. Dam GM.:mad:

Nick

Just got a look at the LaCrosse, nice car but it's no GN.
You can get the 3.8N/A @ 200hp or the 3.6 V VT rated @ 240 HP.

I think it does look better than the current Regal Body style buuuuuuuttttt get rid of the back two doors, make it Rwd and put the HP at about 350hp with either Six then you will have something! :D

BTW Nice Kill.

It should come with the 3.6@240 for the base, and the 3.8S@260 for the higher model. Since it is a motor created by Buick.

Nick

Originally posted by I eat Z06
It should come with the 3.6@240 for the base, and the 3.8S@260 for the higher model. Since it is a motor created by Buick.

Nick

You bring up a good point. For the life of me I don't understand why the 3.8 only has 200 hp without an S/C (on the series II).

There are plenty of cars that have a smaller six that have more Hp. Look at the 300m, 255 hp n/a the Accord 260 hp n/a. Imagine an S/C on those.

Is it because the Buick 3.8 is not overhead cam, and only 12 valves?

Originally posted by Bluto
You bring up a good point. For the life of me I don't understand why the 3.8 only has 200 hp without an S/C (on the series II).

There are plenty of cars that have a smaller six that have more Hp. Look at the 300m, 255 hp n/a the Accord 260 hp n/a. Imagine an S/C on those.

Is it because the Buick 3.8 is not overhead cam, and only 12 valves?

To a large degree, yes. There was a guy on here who mentioned that a DSM head would flow like 280cfm or something like that. Whe you get down to it that kinda flow makes for some power. Also look where a lot of em make their power though. It's high up. The VVT motors are a bit different though, the way they do the cams and everything compensates. I would much rather have the torque though. :D

Back