You can type here any text you want

Beggin' Anyone and Everyone For HELP!!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ToothDoc

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum having never owned a turbo engine until now. I recently purchased a completely disassembled '87 GN engine with various "upgrades" but I need direction on how to finish up. I did not purchase the engine from the guy who bought all of the extras, so I'm not sure where he was going so now I'm knee deep in a motor without much to go on. Here is a list of what I have:

Stock block, pistons, heads, intake, headers, downpipe, intercooler, no turbo, wastegate actuator, or elbow

"Upgrades"-maybe, maybe not?!:
XS-Power headers with external wastegate pipe
T66 Turbo A/R .70 Compressor, A/R .63 turbine housing 4" inlet, 2.5" outlet
TT street chip for 60 lb. injectors, high flow setting (#8 from Cotton's Performance)
SFI Smartfire Injectors-60lb I assume, however they look like 42 lb. style
Kirban Performance Heavy Duty Valve Springs
E3 Spark plugs
RJC Power Plate
Caspers Heated O2 sensor

Can anyone give me a recommendation on what I should do regarding the cam-since the chip is for high flow?
Downpipe recommendation?
Iternal or external wastegate?
Any other recommendations??

To everyone who reads this-thanks very much for looking and possibly helping me out!! I really appreciate it!!

Last edited:
First off you need to figure out what goals you want as far as performance. Then I would suggest go to Gnttype.org and look up the recipe information that'll help you with cam selection turbo sizes etc. that's the only real advice I can give you other than that is forget E3 spark plugs with a turbo motor.

Also spend as much time as you possibly can going back through every page of all the forms there is tons of information on the site you just have to be willing to look for it, also the search button is a valuable tool.

I can honestly say that I have gone back and read virtually every single page of all the forms on the site and some I have looked at multiple times and I continue to do that for information.

Honestly you should sell it all and buy a "finished" gn for about 10-20 grand depending on how nice of a car you want.....I went down the path you are and you will regret it when you have 30 grand in receipts lol but you probably won't listen and neither did I lol but as far as which parts to get it really depends on how fast you want to go. Good luck with everything and while your putting it together read a lot about these cars and how they work or you will be putting together another motor soon again I went through that to lol

My advice,having had to get two engines built in the last 4 months is find someone relatively close to where you live, that has done tons grand national turbo engines under their belt. Members here can help you know matter where you live. Make appointment and take everything you have to them, explain your goals and they will be able to tell you what they can use that you have to get to where you would like to be with your car. Only drawback is not going to be cheap if you want done correctly. Good luck and enjoy once you get it going.

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum having never owned a turbo engine until now. I recently purchased a completely disassembled '87 GN engine with various "upgrades" but I need direction on how to finish up. I did not purchase the engine from the guy who bought all of the extras, so I'm not sure where he was going so now I'm knee deep in a motor without much to go on. Here is a list of what I have:

Stock block, pistons, heads, intake, headers, downpipe, intercooler, no turbo, wastegate actuator, or elbow

"Upgrades"-maybe, maybe not?!:
XS-Power headers with external wastegate pipe
T66 Turbo A/R .70 Compressor, A/R .63 turbine housing 4" inlet, 2.5" outlet
TT street chip for 60 lb. injectors, high flow setting (#8 from Cotton's Performance)
SFI Smartfire Injectors-60lb I assume, however they look like 42 lb. style
Kirban Performance Heavy Duty Valve Springs
E3 Spark plugs
RJC Power Plate
Caspers Heated O2 sensor

Can anyone give me a recommendation on what I should do regarding the cam-since the chip is for high flow?
Downpipe recommendation?
Iternal or external wastegate?
Any other recommendations??

To everyone who reads this-thanks very much for looking and possibly helping me out!! I really appreciate it!!
Use stock headers, buy a roller cam(206/206), Houston style down pipe(internal gate), T66 if it's a 3 bolt is ok, use AC or Autolite plugs, find a good machinist and balance the rotating assembly, ARP rod bolts and main studs, and quality bearings and rings. And get a good stall converter matched to your combo. There is a wealth of knowledge here!

First off you need to figure out what goals you want as far as performance. Then I would suggest go to Gnttype.org and look up the recipe information that'll help you with cam selection turbo sizes etc. that's the only real advice I can give you other than that is forget E3 spark plugs with a turbo motor.

Also spend as much time as you possibly can going back through every page of all the forms there is tons of information on the site you just have to be willing to look for it, also the search button is a valuable tool.

I can honestly say that I have gone back and read virtually every single page of all the forms on the site and some I have looked at multiple times and I continue to do that for information.
I'd like to add that the "recipes" on Gnttype" are so old that you wouldn't even be able to get most of those parts. However, the reading there for everything else is priceless. Keep reading, define your goals, and most everyone here will help you get to where you want to be. If your on the west coast, Nick Micale or Turbo Lou have the answers. If your on the East coast, let me know who has the answers, as I don't know anyone (personally) here. Cheers!

You got to post your location and really sit down with someone who knows these cars well and go through what your budget and goals are because this can get REAL expensive real quick, I wouldn't even use half that stuff you listed....

For over 25 years I have been working on these cars and still learning something new every day, so if you think can do this by info here or elsewhere, you are in for a long, tortuous journey of despair?

Not knowing your automotive experience, your GN was only build for 2 years, and very few people know them well.

I would suggest that you find a knowledgeable and honest person that has experience with these cars to help you. A wrong "turn" can end up costing you big time in money as well as a poor running GN.

Of course, you first need to define your goals for performance and how the car will be used.

From just what you posted, your combination is off to a bad start in my opinion. :(

Thank you everyone for all of the info! I've been trying my best to learn from friends of mine who personally own several GN's. Luckily they have good contacts here in Western New York, but I want as much input from everyone that I can get to get the best scope on my direction. I know that most people that have been around these engines have had all sorts of experiences-good and bad! Like I said, this is new to me, so I'm in sponge mode to absorb anything I can with all of your experience! I'm currently running and "02 BMW M3-VF supercharged and an "86 El Camino with an LS1 transplant. You guys are gonna want to kill me, but this engine is goin into my current project-'68 F100 with a '77 camaro front clip....don't give up on me though! Thanks!!!

For over 25 years I have been working on these cars and still learning something new every day, so if you think can do this by info here or elsewhere, you are in for a long, tortuous journey of despair?

Not knowing your automotive experience, your GN was only build for 2 years, and very few people know them well.

I would suggest that you find a knowledgeable and honest person that has experience with these cars to help you. A wrong "turn" can end up costing you big time in money as well as a poor running GN.

Of course, you first need to define your goals for performance and how the car will be used.

From just what you posted, your combination is off to a bad start in my opinion. :(
I have been a little concerned about what I have too. Any recommendations on what is workable and what is just complete crap? From what I was told, the guy who bought the parts was building the engine based on someone else's build he saw on youtube-I can't locate anything like what I have-frustrating.

Welcome to the Buick Club 2015. There's a bunch of shop keeper's, construction workers (like me), and other well meaning folks that really don't have a clue of what they speak. There's still good knowledge here, but you're going to have to call these folks and talk to them. I still have a problem approaching some of them, but like Poppa Lou said, it starts with a phone call. Cheers!

Sorry-forgot to reply to the questions about performace goals. I'm looking to keep the reliability relatively stable while keeping performance as high as possible for a street truck. Running a Ford 8.8" rear axle with 3.73's and Trac-loc if that helps at all. Thanks again guys!

You got to post your location and really sit down with someone who knows these cars well and go through what your budget and goals are because this can get REAL expensive real quick, I wouldn't even use half that stuff you listed....
Any suggestions on what may be usable and what is just useless?

Any suggestions on what may be usable and what is just useless?
Truthfully, the power plate and the valve springs are the only thing I would keep and springs would halfta be verified and pressure checked for at least 100lbs, the chip can be re-burned, but this is the cheap stuff you have to talk to a engine builder on this board by phone, your not gonna be able to build this through posts, and throw those E3 plugs in the RIVER!!

I have been a little concerned about what I have too. Any recommendations on what is workable and what is just complete crap? From what I was told, the guy who bought the parts was building the engine based on someone else's build he saw on youtube-I can't locate anything like what I have-frustrating.

First thing: Do yourself a huge favor and stay away from Youtube posts about performance motors! Second: Be very careful when it comes to engine builders, not every engine builder can build a grand national motor correctly, and it's not like building a small block Chevy motor! GN's are a totally different beast. There are a couple of great engine builders on this site, Nick Micale happens to be one of them. He built a TA stroker motor for me and it was an enlightening experience. If only I had done that the first time around.... Wasted a lot of time and $$$. Nick will give you great advice and guidance, but you have to figure out what you want and what your goals are. IMO/experience, I think it's much easier and cheaper to start from the beginning then trying to piece together a motor with parts and technology that are a decade old..... V6sleeper made a good point about tossin those spark plugs in the river. Now do yourself another huge favor and throw the rest of the parts in there with them. You'll be happy you did. Good luck!

^^^I agree with chris kirk, Nick is the perfect guy to call, If you don't know who he is he's the guy in Post#10...I think we already saved you 10 grand:)

Back