best chip for a sock 87 gn ?

phil conrad

I have a bone stock 87 gn and would like to put a chip in it. This is a street driven car that has to run on 91 octane. I do not want to get into doing a bunch of tuning or modifying, so what do you recommend ? Thanks

For a bone stock car, the best chip is a stock one. If you plan to add any kind of performance chip, at a minimum you need an upgraded fuel pump, a 237 regulator (Or preferably an adjustable one) and the "Spring Cleaning" found on gnttype.org done.

The stock fuel system from the factory was inadequate. Couple that with age of the cars and the performance available from aftermarket chips and you have some problems.

Also, since you only have access to 91 octane, you will need something custom done to handle your situation. Contact any of the custom chip makers and I'm sure one of us will be able to take care of your needs.

I run 91-92 octane. Chips with 18-17 degrees WOT timing seem to work well.

Best chips I've tried with straight 91 pump gas were Jay Carter variable timing and street, SP10 and SP11 (Ramchargers), Extender, Thrasher 92, and Joe Lubrant 92.

When you buy the chip, tell the guy that you only have 91 octane. I thought that there was not much difference between 92 and 93, but now I am thinking different. I have a JC 93, great chip by the way, but I think it knocks a bit for the really cruddy 92 octane that Cali has. Good luck. DO NOT GET THE KENNE BELL ANYTHING CHIP. If you keep it bone stock with just a chip, lots of detonation. I am surprosed my car still has the head gaskets intact. 24 degrees timing and lots of part throttle knock. The only thing I could do to keep part throttle knock at bay with the Hi/Lo Pro (Slow) chip was run 100 octane. ERIC.:)