You can type here any text you want

Best Choice for replacement Spoiler?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
HOFSGNX said:
So is the concensus Hawks or are there too many problems with that spoiler?

I've got mine all mounted and everything and so far I don't have any complaints.

The only thing is that I wouldn't suggest using the mounting that comes with it for the arms that come foward but rather do what Jan said and use self tapping screws and screw them in where the rails are for the stock mounting. Then just adjust them so it fits nice and tight and slides in. Also you're going to need to have it reprepped, the gelcoat that comes on it is far from smooth. Besides for that I really like mine, and it's nice having the hatch actually completely open when I push the button instead of closing itself again if I didn't make it to the back of the car in time.

I would say Hawks as well.

Defintely one of the better repros out there, out of the three I have seen installed personally the Hawks, fits looks, best.

I have talked to them about it.

Good guys to deal with.

For the record if you go to the TA NATS in Dayton Oh, the last weekend of AUG they have them for $300. I woulda had one but waited till Sun to buy it and they left! Argggghh

U save on the spoiler and on shipping if u have a way to get it home.

later
Jeremy

Anyone out there tried to just fix the cracks that we get in these spoilers as opposed to replacing it altogether?

HOFSGNX said:
Anyone out there tried to just fix the cracks that we get in these spoilers as opposed to replacing it altogether?

it's pointless to try and fix the spoiler. The material that it's made out of won't even hold up under it's own weight. Where the mounts are at on the back of the spoiler it'll start to sag on the top but stay sticking up at the mounting points. Also the only thing you can really do to fix the cracks is use bondo which will crack fairly quickly too. It's not really worth the time, effort, or money that you would have to put into the stock spoiler since it's just going to crack again in a year or two.

HOFSGNX said:
The previous owner of my TTA had it repaired. It looked awesome for about 300 miles and one year. The 300 miles werent even WOT. Don't spend your money twice IMHO.

HTH Jason

Jan Larsson said:
I had no finishing issues with mine, just had it painted and looks and fits great. Did not use the clips provided for the ends instead also used 2 flat headed screws from the underside and slid theminto the metal fram on the glass light the original plastic clips. You will have to try to see how far in you srew the screws to make sure it fits tight put this works much better and looks much better then using the clips provided with the spoiler.

Jan: one quick question: took the dead spoiler off my new Formula 350 last night and it came off easy. Did you say you used flat head stainless screws to mount in the rear window clips in ALL THREE spots? I thought so but wanted to make sure.

Looks like it'll work just fine. Also confirmed that my spoiler on my TTA is ORIGINAL and doesn't have a single friggin flaw. I know the car hasn't been wet much but it's real weird once you've seen how bad the design is.

I just put flat headed SS screws at the end on each side so not in each spot. The spoiler is so light and I have had not problems using just 1 screw on each side, and this way I't much easier to install it as well.

Nice looking Formula, I always wanted one as well ... maybe one of these days ... I drove a blue 1990 Formula 350 many years ago when they came out and always wanted one after that ;)

Jan Larsson said:
I just put flat headed SS screws at the end on each side so not in each spot. The spoiler is so light and I have had not problems using just 1 screw on each side, and this way I't much easier to install it as well.

Nice looking Formula, I always wanted one as well ... maybe one of these days ... I drove a blue 1990 Formula 350 many years ago when they came out and always wanted one after that ;)

Thanks - that's what I'll do. I'm ashamed to admit I find the Formula more fun than the TTA to drive. I'm so cautious about the TTA and the 350 is straight old fashioned V8 fun - much more predictable if not as downright fast. I also kind of like the minimialist design (without the leather, aero, bells and whistles). It's nice to have both!!

Ordered the spoiler this afternoon from Hawk's so I'll let you know how it goes on. Have a painter lined up. Also bead blasted the original Formula wheels and am polishing and having the same painter clear coat them.

I'll post more pix.

Thanks again Jan

joejakegrace said:
Jan: one quick question: took the dead spoiler off my new Formula 350 last night and it came off easy. Did you say you used flat head stainless screws to mount in the rear window clips in ALL THREE spots? I thought so but wanted to make sure.

Looks like it'll work just fine. Also confirmed that my spoiler on my TTA is ORIGINAL and doesn't have a single friggin flaw. I know the car hasn't been wet much but it's real weird once you've seen how bad the design is.

I used screws in each spot in order to get any bow out of the arms of the spoiler to ensure it sat close to the window without any gap. All I did was put tape on the hatch and marked where the screws would be about 3/4 of the way back on the bracket. I then mounted the spoiler with the bolts on the back of it and got it sitting like how I wanted it and then used tape again on the arms of it and just marked where my other line was on the spoiler that way I would know where to mark for the screws. I hope that makes sense, it's kind of hard to explain. But then after a couple trails of putting it on and taking it off to adjust the height of the screws I was able to get it to sit just like I wanted it. I've had it on for about 2 months now I believe with no realy problems, and that includes a couple drives on the highway at 80 mph for a while and a couple runs to 100+.

Probalbly a dumb ??? but my Hawks spoiler seems to be a bit narrow from side to side,,"like it could be 1 inch wider " is this the norm for the hawks ,please let me know befor I start throwing tools around the garage:eek: :eek: ,

any update on the mounting of this thing....
thanks ...

Back