You can type here any text you want

Best mufflers

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Really? How much? I think the ones I use from Kooks just have holes inside to absorb the pulses into the rock wool.

I guess it depends on which straight through we are talking about ...

Going from flowmasters which are not straight through to a XR1 was worth 13 mph on a 140 mph car with no other change ..

Going from straight thru Edelbrocks to a XR1 was only worth 3 mph on another car ..
Whats interesting is the flow on straight through mufflers is so different .. choose wisely otherwise your pissing upwind

This has been around for a while. The test was done on an over bored fox body mustang. 374 rwhp is not bad (for a stang)

Since I'm still running a Conley's Perfomance Plus Mag tune dual 3in system from the early 90's and love it I only have experience with the following on my 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Convertible w/ 3.4L DOHC.

Magnaflow- nice sound, slight drone

Hooker max flow- nice sound, no drone, not stainless

Dynomax ultraflow welded- slightly deeper tone, stainless, slight odd interior sound because 3.4L DOHC (sounds great on the 5.4 Expedition)

Hooker aero chamber- slight chambered sound, no drone, not SS

With only a few HP difference in the top 10 there are some good choices.

image.jpeg

:rolleyes:o_Oo_Oo_O:rolleyes:
I guess it depends on which straight through we are talking about ...

Going from flowmasters which are not straight through to a XR1 was worth 13 mph on a 140 mph car with no other change ..

Going from straight thru Edelbrocks to a XR1 was only worth 3 mph on another car ..
Whats interesting is the flow on straight through mufflers is so different .. choose wisely otherwise your pissing upwind

I figured there would be some difference between the internal fin type and the ones with holes. But 3 mph is quiet a lot.!!

I didn't want to use mufflers at all when my exhaust was being fabricated. But I was urged to do so by the fabricators boss:rolleyes:. Actually, I wanted to do a full true dual exhaust in aluminum and no mufflers. Next time I will. And I won't be talked out of it this time.

So the reason I chose the kooks mufflers is because they are completely unobstructed and plain strait through. They don't do a damned thing. And I like it that way.;)

:rolleyes:o_Oo_Oo_O:rolleyes:

I figured there would be some difference between the internal fin type and the ones with holes. But 3 mph is quiet a lot.!!

I didn't want to use mufflers at all when my exhaust was being fabricated. But I was urged to do so by the fabricators boss:rolleyes:. Actually, I wanted to do a full true dual exhaust in aluminum and no mufflers. Next time I will. And I won't be talked out of it this time.

So the reason I chose the kooks mufflers is because they are completely unobstructed and plain strait through. They don't do a damned thing. And I like it that way.;)

Joe imagine when I saw a 13 mph change on the car .. when I swapped out the FLOWJUNK setup I changed it because of weight and I knew it was holding the car back .. so I figured I would see just how much of a difference the change made .. Initially when I got into the car after the change I thought something was wrong ( as in the wastegate line came off ) ... it didn't even feel like the same car.. its so efficient it ran the same exact time through the XR1's as it did uncapped .. what more can you ask for.

but yes even 3 mph is significant for a muffler change .. Truth be told there is better muffler tech out then the older ATR stuff ..

The kooks look like a nice muffler.. be interesting to see what they flow ..

Joe imagine when I saw a 13 mph change on the car .. when I swapped out the FLOWJUNK setup I changed it because of weight and I knew it was holding the car back .. so I figured I would see just how much of a difference the change made .. Initially when I got into the car after the change I thought something was wrong ( as in the wastegate line came off ) ... it didn't even feel like the same car.. its so efficient it ran the same exact time through the XR1's as it did uncapped .. what more can you ask for.

but yes even 3 mph is significant for a muffler change .. Truth be told there is better muffler tech out then the older ATR stuff ..

The kooks look like a nice muffler.. be interesting to see what they flow ..
This is something that needs to be done on higher horse cars, a flow test on mufflers to see which ones are better at moving the air with no restriction, just like cyl. head flow test as if you have a good exhaust system, you wont need a test pipe with cutout hanging in the wind,

:D:D:D
This is something that needs to be done, a flow test on mufflers to see which ones are better at moving the air with no restriction, just like cyl. head flow test as if you have a good exhaust system, you wont need a test pipe with cutout hanging in the wind,
How about this for a test?

I think that running a full exhaust with no mufflers is the way to go for some of us. Especially me. :D I bet it won't be much louder than it is with a strait through.

Most of the sound will exit the tailpipes behind for others to hear. And no soot down the underside of a clean bottom from a dump pipe.

And I'm still stuck on this aluminum thing. I should have done it when I wanted to 10 years ago. I understand more people are doing it now. But I wonder if using aluminum will change the sound too. It must a little. Even tapping on the pipe makes a different sound. Let's not forget the weight savings.

Please, someone do this one day and post back. I know aluminum wouldn't be a good idea on a TR that sees a lot of miles or all weather driving. But, if you end up liking the results, then I'll definitely have to kick myself in the ass!!

Wow, im surprised nobody chimed in a vote for the dynomax vt... i went from chambered mufflers to the straight through ultraflows (dual 3") and picked up a couple psi of boost and a bunch of power on the butt dyno but the drone was deafening during most cruise situations. The chambered ones had a nice bark and sounded the "coolest" but cost some power. Ended up going with the vt's and absolutely love them! No drone at cruise and they sound just like the ultraflows when you mash it. I"ll give you a bargain on some slightly used stainless ultraflows if you wanna give em a whirl.

Wow, im surprised nobody chimed in a vote for the dynomax vt... i went from chambered mufflers to the straight through ultraflows (dual 3") and picked up a couple psi of boost and a bunch of power on the butt dyno but the drone was deafening during most cruise situations. The chambered ones had a nice bark and sounded the "coolest" but cost some power. Ended up going with the vt's and absolutely love them! No drone at cruise and they sound just like the ultraflows when you mash it. I"ll give you a bargain on some slightly used stainless ultraflows if you wanna give em a whirl.

The ultraflows are a very good muffler ... I have those on a 5.0L ( with some boost :) ) and they are a excellent muffler .. high flow.. good sound .. and they perform .. great muffler

Last edited:
So how did the vt's do on the dyno?

So how did the vt's do on the dyno?

I never dynoed any of them, the car felt a lot quicker going from chambered to ultraflows. Going from ultraflow to vt wasnt much of a difference other than being a lot quieter at idle and cruise. The flap in the vt's is pretty ingenious, i was worried about it being a restriction but the way the spring hooks on is like a cam, it takes some pressure to open it but almost none to hold it open (i fiddled with it before installing and was pleasantly surprised)

none at all
You have dual 3"? I had dual 2 1/2" ultraflows on my gn and the sound was waaay more mellow and had way less drone than the 3"s

I never dynoed any of them, the car felt a lot quicker going from chambered to ultraflows. Going from ultraflow to vt wasnt much of a difference other than being a lot quieter at idle and cruise. The flap in the vt's is pretty ingenious, i was worried about it being a restriction but the way the spring hooks on is like a cam, it takes some pressure to open it but almost none to hold it open (i fiddled with it before installing and was pleasantly surprised)

You have dual 3"? I had dual 2 1/2" ultraflows on my gn and the sound was waaay more mellow and had way less drone than the 3"s
I have dual 2.5 inch also. I have no complaints at all about the sound. Last year when I first got my car I had searched most threads on here and came to the conclusion that the dynomax ultra flows were the way to go and have been happy with the decision.

The o.p. was asking about dual 3", they're a different animal. I loved the dual 2.5s on my gn so i got them in 3" for my t type and had an unbearable drone at cruise rpm and switched to the vt's, couldnt be happier with them! Mufflers are about as subjective as what oil to use so this is all my opinion, your results may vary. I have a set of 3" ultraflows id part with for cheap

Back