best stock location intercooler for the $

Didn't someone testsome IC's last year??? I'm not talking ESP's test. There was supposedly one done measuring IAC #'s at the plenum at WOT as it crossed the line. I was told the PTE unit was at like 115* and the CAS V-1 was at 180*. Does anyone have info to back this up?? Anyone know if ESP ever did that IC test?? If they haven't someone should, i mean they only take 1/2 hour to bolt up, and it seems IAC #'s @ WOT, @ the line should give the best cooling #'s, and if you use it on the same car, ET's should also help in determining flow #'s.

Originally posted by SVTR1
Spoolinup, no knock at all .zero
NOW UP TO 22 PSI ON A TA-60 ,
2 deg of knock retard @23psi I've not adjusted FP up that's next
SCANMASTER
and the same boost controler that Jack Cotton has in his racecar
Jack put my car together and I can tell Ya this JACK can my your car fly . and I like it.

I was screwing around with mine, too. I got it up to 19 psi with 23/21 timing on the Extender chip. 23 is the "low" gear timing, 21 is the "high" gear timing (98 octane burn). TLink isn't showing a 3rd gear "on" signal (I must've f'd something up somewhere), so it might be 23 degrees all the time. Anyhow, 19#s was all I had the cajones for. Did some WOT blasts from a 60 MPH roll (high gear, high timing). Played back the TLink and have 0 knock - none anywhere. I'm running 94 octane Sunoco with the alky shut off. Roasts the 275/60 DRs from 20-50 MPH. I might turn up the wick and introduce some alky-hol if Spring ever arrives in NJ.

I'm diggin' the V4. It's one of the few parts that gave me a seat-o-the-pants result out of the box. Big time.

I don't think (or hope) BGC is stealing....er selling anymore.

Jim

GNSCOTT, don't you mean IAT #'s? Inlet air temperature.

In order to do a real, accurate, and fair test, it has to be done in a windtunnel, not on someones car. Most cores out there are already flowed, so you just need to know what they are using. Spearco cores are already flowed at 1.5 pressure drop and the #'s are available by them. I believe the pte is a spearco core. Someone out there probably knows if this is correct.

Just by core size, the V1 is 25x14x4.5 and the precision I believe is 18x11.5x4.5. The CAS is already at an advantage on effeciency due to the core area. And the precision I believe is a spearco core, not an extruded tube, or the newest in core technology tooling. So for someone to say that a spearco had an outlet temp of 115 and the CAS at 180 is not even close to what is already out there and what I have seen in the import world where spearco cores are the main intercooler. A spearco 2-216 core at 28x10x3.5 is only 74% effecient, a core area bigger than the pte. And it flows only 790scfm@1.5 pressure drop.

Dequick has a supra intercooler at 24x13x4.5. It is 94% effecient at 1500 cfm with 17 mph in the tunnel. It flowed 1015scfm@1.5 pressure drop. THIS CORE IS SMALLER THAN THE V1!!

THAT CORE IS ALMOST IDENTICAL TO THE V2!
only a .5 inch difference in depth.

The same cores are in the V4 and V4r, just smaller.

If we are going to start to get somewhere with all this, we need real #'s, or these threads are going to live forever and everyone will just go with what they bought and say how it ruled.

I believe Dana Wyatt down in Georgia would be the one talk to. Unfortunately, I dont think he comes on this board. He has done back to back testing of the Mease and the V4. :D

As most of these units are capable of going into the tens in front of the right combos, testing may not always be very meaningful unless pushed to the absolute limits under lab conditions by someone technically qualified to "standardize" the results.

I don't think you will go wrong with any of them but I prefer the ones that use new, modern cores as I know old cores lose their efficiency as the bonding between the tubes and fins ages.

I just did a search on intercoolers and found what people like the most. That's how I settled on the V4. People seem to like CAS stuff a lot - the V4 in particular. This method of deciding what to buy puts the newer products at a disadvantage and potentially opens you up to the "bandwagon" mentality, but it hasn't steered me wrong yet (the PT51 thing is still a question mark - mine's still okay after 1,200 miles and a visit to the track).

Jim