You can type here any text you want

Best Stock Location Speakers

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

bishir

Serenity Now
I want to buy some new stock location speakers. What are some good choices? A link to where i can buy them online would be great too. :)

Due to the small size in the dash location, I'd look for some good full range speakers that will reach as low as possible. Check out the speakers at partsexpress.com. For the rear, look for a pair of 6x9to4x10 adapters, and get some good 6x9's. This will also put some bass in your ride. :D

danssoslow said:
Due to the small size in the dash location, I'd look for some good full range speakers that will reach as low as possible. Check out the speakers at partsexpress.com. For the rear, look for a pair of 6x9to4x10 adapters, and get some good 6x9's. This will also put some bass in your ride. :D

Will the stock brackets work with the adapters? What size are the front speakers? 3" ?

Perfect speakers

I got the perfect speakers for you. Top quality excellent fit! Boston Acousitics RC520. They will fit right into the door brackects. Comes with two crossovers and 2 separate tweeters, which I mounted on the dash. Sound Great! These sound so good you will not need the upper speakers in the dash.

DAve

bishir said:
Will the stock brackets work with the adapters? What size are the front speakers? 3" ?

I believe the fronts are 3 1/2". The adapters to mount 6x9's would mount just as the 4x10's do. I had an '84 Regal, and the adapters mounted right to the tray. I'm not familiar with any brackets that were necessary to mount the adapters. The 6x9's would mount under the adapters.

If you have the ability to mount some door speakers, I'd look for some sperates like Evaddave 87gn suggested.

No door speakers as it's not a concert sound car and I don't want to touch the door panels. I'd like 6x9s, but as you said, worried about the trays fitting. I guess I'll give it a try though. Thanks!

Used the 4x10

I installed Pioneer 4x10 in the rear , mainly just to fill in, but they rated at 300 watts and are 3 way. Not a bad speaker, but you need an amp to gennerate a good sound.

Dave

bishir said:
No door speakers as it's not a concert sound car and I don't want to touch the door panels. I'd like 6x9s, but as you said, worried about the trays fitting. I guess I'll give it a try though. Thanks!

They should fit just fine, no harder than replacing the stock speakers with new ones.

Here is a pic of what I'm talking about,and not a bad price to boot. Look locally for the same part number, Metra is a a large supplier. Check Autozone, too. They are generally cheaper than Best Buy or Circuit City on kits and harnesses.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Metra-Dash-Kit-...ryZ50552QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

if you buy 6x9's from crutchfield, they will come with FREE 6x9 adapters that WILL fit in your car. You do not utilize the factory brackets at all, the new brackets/adapters will mount in stock location holes

Ok, got everything and got it installed. GOt some Alpines up front and Kickers in the rear. I'm very impressed by the Alpines, but the Kickers probably need something other than the stock radio. The 6x9s fit, but barely,. The crossbars in the trunk were in the way and the magnet is now pushing hard down on the passenger side. Overall it sounds very good, but the 6x9 Kickers don't sound much better than the 4x10 Kickers I had previously. Again, the Alpines were impressive.

Did the adapters have an offset to them? Some do, some don't. I used ones with an offset which allowed me to mount the 6x9's away from the rods.
Definitely, a small amp would help. What is the rms rating for those 6x9's?

Also, is there alot of gaps around either mounting surface? Enough leaks and that 6x9 is going to act like it is playing enclosureless, which would lack alot of bass. I suggest picking up some good HVAC duct tape. Not the 100MPH tape, but the metal tape used on the heat registers. Use that to seal up any leaks around the tray and around the speakers, this should help out with the lack of bass.

Yeah, they had an offset. I still had trouble. Here what I think you wanted when talking about RMS,, I copied it from crutchfield regarding these speakers.

power range: 5-90 watts RMS (270 watts peak power)

Sorry about the troubles. Don't give up, though; there's definitely much more potential in those 6x9's. Try sealing everything up first, and if that doesn't increase the bass, and you don't mind adding an amp, do so.
Any good name amp in the 35-75 watt per channel amp should be plenty. Any small amp would put it in a league way above what the stock radio can do for it. You could go with something that matches the rms rating of 90 watts, but I'm figuring you were just wanting something with a little more output, and would want to keep the space and money tied up in an amplifier to a minimum.

Dan

Would rather keep it simple and the weight light. :) I did move it around tonight and it seems to be hitting harder now that it's positioned better. I might want to see what I can do about a small amp though. :) Thanks!

Back