You can type here any text you want

Best timing chain and gears???

• Thread starter Thread starter coach
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
C

coach

I need to swap out my timing chain and gears while I have the front off my engine. Which is the best to get and is there a vendor that has them?

:biggrin:

My experience

Roll Master--I know Nick McCale has them, maybe others also.

I've used both Rollmaster & Pro-Gear successfully.

K.

The "best", or strongest, chain I have found so far is the current Rollmaster set that TA Performance is now selling.

The chain now is one that is made in Germany, and only recently is being supplied in the V-6 Buick application.

I have had MANY chain issues over the past few years and have tried all brands of chains. :mad:

My car is at the track most weekends during our 10 month race season, so it has many runs each year and sees lots of abuse. I am constantly monitoring wear and durability of these chains.

I have researched and talked with many experts in the field like Cloyes, Ken D, Mike at TA and others to help find the BEST solution. This is still an ongoing project as I search for the ultimate best chain! :)

Here is one of my unfortunate experiences, and this one is not a Rollmaster:

Attachments

• DOUBLE ROLLER CHAIN.jpg
    DOUBLE ROLLER CHAIN.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 543
The "best", or strongest, chain I have found so far is the current Rollmaster set that TA Performance is now selling.

The chain now is one that is made in Germany, and only recently is being supplied in the V-6 Buick application.

I have had MANY chain issues over the past few years and have tried all brands of chains. :mad:

My car is at the track most weekends during our 10 month race season, so it has many runs each year and sees lots of abuse. I am constantly monitoring wear and durability of these chains.

I have researched and talked with many experts in the field like Cloyes, Ken D, Mike at TA and others to help find the BEST solution. This is still an ongoing project as I search for the ultimate best chain! :)

That's pretty good. Thats also the reason my Max Wedge and my Blown 409 have gear drives!!!

I have considered a gear drive or a belt drive, but the expense and complexity are not where I want to go.

Besides, after so many chain replacements, I can do one in a few hours when I do routine servicing on the car.

Hopefully I can get to the point where it requires only one, or even no change each season! :biggrin:

I ordered the Rollmaster from TA this afternoon.

Thanks

whats the cost to replace this part? install price?

Chain from TA Performance was 150 and I will replace it myself. Labor would probably be 4 hours min, 200 bucks min. Add in gaskets and setting the cam sensor, and I bet its not a cheap date. I already have the entire front off my engine getting things powder coated, so to do this is no big deal.

Nick,

How have the Pro Gears held up? We just removed a chain with dark blue links that was ready to let go. Replaced it with a pro gear gold links stamped "rollon"

Nick,

How have the Pro Gears held up? We just removed a chain with dark blue links that was ready to let go. Replaced it with a pro gear gold links stamped "rollon"

Actually, the chain in my picture above was from Pro Gear, and the chain looked to be the same as the previous Rollmaster. :(

Did you measure the links on the gold chain to compare the size and thickness of the links? The current Rollmaster chain links are noticeably larger/thicker than the prior one, and also larger than the one from Pro Gear that I broke.

I am waiting for test results from Cloyes about a used current larger Rollmaster chain of mine that was sent for testing, hope to hear results in a week or 2. :)

My experience in replacing my timing chain has so improved that I can start in the morning and have the car running by lunch time! :D

Back