Best Tools for R & R of ball joints and contr.bushings

Slick87gn

I'm getting ready to replace the ball joints and control arm bushings. Has anyone done this lately using a certain tool or should I look for a machine shop. I prefer to do it myself.

Been along time on control arm bushings; I think I just had a shop remove and press the new ones in. Ball joints are a breeze. After removal of the spindle, put the castle nut back on exactly flush w/end of ball joint (to give larger area to absorb the force) and whack the heck out of it w/a big hammer (usually a 203 lb mini-sledge). They'll come out. For reinstallation, I've never had any problem just letting the pull of the castle nut draw them in place, applying the recommended torque. There is a nice tool for ball joint removal that I once used at an auto hobby shop, but I don't think its really necessary--when you're removing them anyway you really don't car about possibly damaging them

Are the ball joints oem? rivets?.. hit em with the torches, habit ive always had with uppers was to stick em in the freezer untill ready for install, id heat up the arm and drop the frozen parts in, but only if kinda tight.

bushings: local shop could chisel em out and press em in unless your cheap like me and got lots of air and a chisel then id stick in vice, heat up the hole and set frozen bushing in...big socket over and beat the hell out of it:biggrin: ...or press em in with vice, couple of sockets one to cover inside and other to hlp press it in

Mike

Bushing and balljoints

Rent a ball joint remover from a local auto part store and use it for the bushings and balljoints. I just did this a couple of weeks ago. Made the job easier, but not easy.

I too try to do most of the stuff to my car myself. I did one side by myself and took the rest to a shop to have them remove/replace the bushings. It was money well spent, especially if you don't have a press.

Rob