You can type here any text you want

best tta drag racing tips

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

john evans

HEY GUYS,
I'M RACING MY TTA THIS WEEKEND AND WANTED TO KNOW IF ANYBODY HAD ANY TRICKS ON LAUCHING OUR CARS ON DRAG RADIALS.
THANKS IN ADVANCE

Air them down to 20-22psi to start and adjust to track conditions. Pull around the water box and back into it. Do a nice 4-5 second burnout or until you see smoke in the mirrors. Take foot off brake and let engine pull down the tires. Roll straight to the line and stage. No dry hops. Start power braking. Stand on the brake as hard as you possibly can and keep building rpm. When its about to start creeping, let her fly :)

Grab timeslip and see :D

Stock Turbo, Stock converter..

Air them down to 15-18 PSI, do a good burnout. Make sure you dont do the burnout in the water box but at the edge so you dont sling water in the wheel wells.

Bring the boost up to 3 PSI and when the light comes down... slam the pedal down. if the track is well prep'd.. you should have a good number. If you blow the tires .. then you'll need to drive the car by not slamming the pedal down as quick.

Some cars can get to 10 PSI and leave, others a few lbs.

Best advice is work on consistency and make decisions that way.

Also try and follow a race car, and watch where they laid the groove on the track. If your off to the right or left, you'll be out of the groove and not get the same traction. You want your heated drag radials to go exactly where they laid down the rubber.

HTH

do the stock brakes hold that well? maybe i need to replace some parts.... how hard are you pushing down to keep the car from moving? i don't know i can keep the car still long enough to get the rpm's up....

WELL I WENT TO THE TRACK TODAY.I FOLLOWED A GUY THAT GOT INTO THE WATER TOO MUCH,TRACK OFFICIAL HAD TO USE A MOP IN 2 LONG STRIPS ON THE TRACK RIGHT BEFORE I WENT TO THE LINE.I TRIED TI STEER MY CAR NEXT TO THE WIPED UP AREAS.I HAD 18 PSI IN THE BFG'S AFTER A LIGHT BURN OUT,I CAME UP TO THE LIGHTS AND STAGED SHALLOW.I BUILT A COUPLE LBS. OF BOOST AND THE CAR CAME OUT SPINNING,I GOT OUT OF THE THROTTLE ALITTLE AND THEN FLOORED IT AGAIN.I WAS VERY HAPPY WITH A NEW BEST MPH BUT COULDN'T BEAT MY BEST OF A 12.0 WHICH I TURNED AGAIN.THERE MUST BE A MAJIC 11 SEC. WALL ON MY CAR.BECAUSE MY NEW BEST MPH WAS 119.48.I HAD 804 ,O2 VOLTS AND 1709 EGT.PROBABLY CAUSED BY TOO MUCH FUEL.ANYHOW I WAS GOING TO RUN THE CAR AGAIN AND THEN THERE WAS A REAL BAD ACCIDENT AT THE END OF THE TRACK.THEY SHUT DOWN THE LANES FOR 2 1/2 HRS.I WENT HOME AFTER THAT.I WAS THE ONLY TTA AT THIS EAST COAST REGIONAL EVENT AND GOT ALOT OF COMPLIMENTS.SORRY ABOUT THE LENGTH OF THIS POST BUT I WAS EXCITED ABOUT THE MPH ON A CAR WITH A N/L CONVERTOR.
THANKS FOR THE ADVISE, JOHN

what does your timeslip look like? That should tell you where you could be with traction.

Bo

the time slip looks as follows:
r/t-.683
60'-2.023
330-5.262
1/8-7.905
mph-94.03
1000-10.148
1/4-12.027
mph-119.49
i'll let you experienced guys, evaluate this info and reply so i can get educated.
thanks john

On slicks, thats an easy 11.50

Now the 1709 EGT is a concern. See if you had too much fuel I doubt you would of picked up 25 on the back end.

Car is making power, but 804 on O2's doesnt jive with 1709 EGT. Unless there is detonation present. That will always spike the egt's.

800= approx 1500-1600 egts depending on guage and probe placement. Typically.

HTH

PS.. maybe it was good you didnt get another trp down the track. Drop the boost and start watching your O2's/knock/egts and watch how you squeeze the motor.

I agree with razor on the poss.times.

The 1/8 to 1/4 mph is a little off though. Did you get any KR?

Whats your combo?

yes i did, scan master user, so i don't know when it happened.i was using alky with 2 1/2 gallons of 116 insurance fuel,to the 3 gallons of 93 i had in the tank.the car felt strong after the bad on/off throttle start because of spinning and alittle wheel hop after the 60' mark,it pulled real nice.if you can dissect the run for me i would appreciate it.

sorry ,i forgot my combo.
fresh engine with 1000 miles on it.2 billet main caps, studs in block and heads.208-208 club cam,champion ported intake,rjc power plate,50 lb. inj.,pt 52 turbo,9"a/c n/l conv.,tony dequick stock mount intercooler.smc alky kit and turbotweak alky chip with 23 degrees timing.bfg drag radials on stock wheels, no susp. work.

Hard to dissect a single run based on one timeslip alone. A guess would be reduce all the numbers by .4 as to the time and look at it that way. But you had the dynamics that the tires blew and you got back on it. So that throws forward momentum out the window.

Your trap speed is great, coupled with a pretty good 1/8 mile number. The car picking up 25 from 1/8-1/4 mile is an indication its making power. And the only way this usually happens is when the motor is leaned out a bit. Your scanmaster O2's being 804 dont jive with the top end pull. Typically. I would of expected to seen 730-750's. Maybe the C16 kinda confused your O2 sensor?

But your 25mph increase coupled with the 1709 EGT makes sense. The 804 scanmaster number doesnt. Hence why I questioned it.

PS, do the heads have work? Or they just stockers. Figured I asked since the rest of the motor is built.

just a valve job and new springs.razor ,can you give me a price quoted on a complete tta progressive alky system.i'm contimplating a change to a bigger system.whatever system you sell most often for my combo.about my run,i was wondering if the knock might have happened when i was on and off the throttle trying to get it to hook up.i did feel any decrease in power on the top end.

Originally posted by john evans
just a valve job and new springs.razor ,can you give me a price quoted on a complete tta progressive alky system.i'm contimplating a change to a bigger system.whatever system you sell most often for my combo.about my run,i was wondering if the knock might have happened when i was on and off the throttle trying to get it to hook up.i did feel any decrease in power on the top end.

John,
You'll need to contact me off the forums. Its a fine line between technical assistance and sales sometimes. But one I dont cross on the board. Drop me an email or call.

With a 25 MPH increase at the top. You shouldnt of felt it laying down on you.

You really need some tires or a well prepped track to run dr's.

Back