You can type here any text you want

Best way to pull the drums off?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jdpolzin

I am trying to get the drums off the car. I have aluminum drums and they dont want to come off. I have been punding on them with a hammer but they wont budge and I dont want to trash the drums. Any pointers?

Try to loosen up the brakes,from the adjuster slot on the bottom of the backing plate.Then use a screw driver and pry at one corner(I know it's a circle)between the drum and backing plate.Then hit with a hammer opposite the screwdriver.Also did you apply any penetrating oil around the studs and hub,the drums maybe corroded to the axle.

OK, I'll give that a shot and keep you posted. Thanks for the help!

Ok, I gave it a shot and I managed to get one off by heating it up around where the hub and drum meet. The other one is not coming off though. I attempted to loosen up the brakes but you cant loosen them, only tighten due to the parking brake. Is there any other way to loosen them? I have already disconnected the brake lines to the rear end so there is no pressure there. The drum that I got off was pretty grooved so I'm wondering if the grooves in the pads and drum arent letting them loose? Any idea before I cut the b*tch off? Thanks for the help!!!!:confused: :mad: ------Jeremy

You should be able to loosen them,if you push on the little arm that only lets the adjuster go one way.But if they are grooved up that bad they sound like junk anyways?

had the same problem with the aluminum rims on my truck

I had to hit the rims off with 2 sledge hammers to get the rims off my truck, sounds like the aluminum drums bonded to your steel axles. Try to use a non shock big hammer and keep hitting around in circles till the bond breaks, If you pry you'll end up pitting or damaging the drums. If you reuse the drums or use a 2nd set of aluminum drums make sure to put some antiseize where the two different metals meet, or else you'll get the same problem again.

Yeah I think the drums are pitted so badly with the pads that I cant get them off. I couldnt reach the little lever that adjusts the brakes so I could turn the adjuster the right way. Is there a trick to this?? Not much room in the little knock out slot and the shock mount is right in the way? I tried to use a little screw driver to hold the pin and turn the adjuster with another but I dont think I was able to get to the pin?:confused: I'm alost ready to get the sawzall out!

look at the adjuster screw from the one you got out then try to feel your way on the other side.i always over power the oneway leaver with little effort.
just use a good flat head screw driver.
good luck Dude.

Cut the hold down spring pins from the back of the backing plate. This will make everything loose inside the drum. You will then have to buy new ones and put the insides back together.

Yeah I tried the BFH method but it ended up busting up the drum pretty bad. Since they are grooved so badly I'll probably have to get new ones anyways! I am going to go ahead and do it the right way. Cutting those pins will make it easier huh??? Sounds good to me, thats my last option!! I'll try to loosen the adjuster again, if that doesnt work, cutting the retainer pin!! If they dont work, GOING THE BFH ON THAT B*TCH!!!!!!!!!!!! Anybody know where i can find a nice set of aluminum drums??

Cut the hold down spring pins from the back of the backing plate. This will make everything loose inside the drum. You will then have to buy new ones and put the insides back together.

That's the best advice I have ever heard for removing drums :)

Got em off finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank god! I ended up busting the sh*t out of the aluminum drums and cutting the retainer pins. Then I heted up the center of the drums where it meets the hub. Then I pulled out the BIG F*CKING HAMMER and put a hurten on the drums!! Now I just have to buy new drums! DOOOOOHHH! Thanks for the help guys!;)

Back