Big Block in a 1987 GN? anyone ever seen it done?

86style

please dont shoot me. i will be attempting to swap a 572 bbc into a 1987 GN. anyone ever tried it or seen it done. ive seen a few monte's with 502 bbc.

any ideas??

-pete

Why would anybody but a chevy lemming insist on ruining cars by putting chevy engines in them? :rolleyes:

Attachments

• picture 014.jpg
    picture 014.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 398
A friend of a friend has a 502 in an '87 GN BUT only because he bought it that way. He bracket races it and keeps his real GN for the street, other than that I know nothing about it. Nor do I want to

Some folks are a little closed minded. You'll have to excuse them.

It can and has been done. Will have to change motor mounts, need a big radiator to support cooling, and will likely have to remove the heater/ac box for valve cover clearance.

Otherwise it will fit. They actually made very few bb malibu g bodies.

Also, if running headers you may run into some steering shaft clearance issues.

Goodluck!!

Go to www.maliburacing.com for more insight.. The malibu is the same as the regal.. Many guys there running bbc's..

If the motor in the GN is still good, hock it and get another G-body, then put the difference into parts. A regular regal or other G-body price compared to a GN is quite a bit, even for a pristine one and you'd probably end up replacing many of the parts in the GN that make it special regardless. You'll also get less hate mail that way. Maliburacing is an excellent site, should be able to help you out quite a bit

i say do what makes you happy. in the near future i will have a '69 Camaro SS with a turbo,fuel injected,stroked 351w. got tired of chevy guy's putting small and big blocks in Mustangs, wait till i clean house at Super Chevy!

I agree, get another G-body and hit up some of the guys on the board who specialize in G-body salvage for the parts to make it look like a GN, other than paint and some emblems its not all that much on the outside. All the interior stuff is cool looking but they make better but same looking stuff in the aftermarket for the most part, if not, Bweavy or Mike McCoy, or Intercooler should have what you need, also watch the forsale section.
All the heavy duty stuff on a GN isn't going to take the beating from a 572, the 8.5 10-bolt ain't that good, get a 9" or an S-60. The tranny is going to have to be one serious built peice, a TH400 will fit right in on the stock crossmember, and www.crossmembers.com can hook you up with a crossmember for just about anything else you want to put in it. Radiators will fit from any G or F body, including the upgrade ones. As for the swap stuff.... motor mounts are either stock SBC ones or some swap company I'm sure makes heavy duty ones. Since a 572 is a tall deck block..... good luck on headers that fit off the shelf. You also might run into hood clearance issues with that single plane intake. Fuel system, either swap the tank for a NA Regal or any of the other G-bodies tank if you want to go stock cheap, otherwise get out the torch and cut yourself an access hole for a fuel cell. Better get some front springs from Eaton Detroit with all that extra front end weight and a big'ol sway bar to lanch her straight.
Honestly I'd want to do this to a Monte Carlo Aerocoupe, I don't like mixing brands of engines and cars and a Monte Aerocoupe has a far more radical racing petigree than a Grand National despite the name. Now that would be a fun car to toute, especially blacked out like a GN but all chevy.

Ok, enough of my rants, enjoy the info and spare the poor Buick the indignity of chebbitous,

Your probably going to need to put a cowl hood on it (definately need one with a 572). Our 502 2+2 uses the stock dual plane and there is very little hood clearance - we use a modified drop airfilter to fit under the stock hood.

Go with ramchargers fans. We had overheating problems until we put those on.

i am perdy sure your going to hell for thinking about doing this

i am also sure i am going to hell as well....... for other reasons..

see ya there!

i say get a 442 and bastardize that.

There's a guy at NED that runs a 87 black Limited with a 502 (or larger) that is very fast. It runs 8s or 9s and is very sharp looking.

theres one around here all tubbed with a 468 motor on nitrous ... too bad these v6 ones are still faster :D

if you have to.....

drop a BBB 455 in there instead of a chevy mill. The BBB weighs about 100 lbs less and has more torque. At least that would be a Buick engine in a Buick. Personally I think it's sacrilege to put anything other than a LC2 in a 87 GN. If you are set on a BB in a G Body, why don't you consider selling that GN and getting a base Regal car to do this swap in?

Check with vsix- he has a bunch of donar cars, some 442s and other g body candidates.

Yep, pretty sure one would go to Hell for thinking of such a thing. The seventh level if he actually attempted it! :rolleyes:

I did a 87 GN with 15k on it at the time(1989) with a 502... Now I believe he has a 560 Shafferoff motor in there . NICE car to . Haven't scene him for a few years . Not a big deal to do