Big Brake conversion...

superduty

Have a few related questions:

First of all, does anyone know of a simple dual piston caliper upgrade for the B-Spindle?

Second, this conversion makes use of the F-body 1LE rotor(12" * 1") on the B-Spindle. On an Impala SS board, I read the 9C1 Caliper was designed to fit around a 1.25" rotor and they use pad thickness to make up the difference. Do you guys think it would be possible to use the later '98-'02 "LS1" rotor(12" * 1.25") on a B-Spindle with 9C1 calipers?

Anything is possibly with enough fabrication.

However, The 1LE Calipers are two piston, why not use those?

The caliper is totally different from what I am told. The rotors supposedly used all the same bearing hardware and that is why a 1LE rotor fits on a B-Spindle. I guess the B-Spindle ears don't match up with the 1LE caliper...

Originally posted by superduty
Have a few related questions:

First of all, does anyone know of a simple dual piston caliper upgrade for the B-Spindle?

Second, this conversion makes use of the F-body 1LE rotor(12" * 1") on the B-Spindle. On an Impala SS board, I read the 9C1 Caliper was designed to fit around a 1.25" rotor and they use pad thickness to make up the difference. Do you guys think it would be possible to use the later '98-'02 "LS1" rotor(12" * 1.25") on a B-Spindle with 9C1 calipers?

Do you feel there is enough pad flex when using the single piston caliper to really need to use the dual piston caliper?. In running the 12 B Body brakes and in heavy use my pads have always worn evenly. The multi piston setups just spread the load out more evenly, and have a higher caliper mass for absorbing high temps better. Neither that I've seen as a problem, but I'm not everyone.

And the B car stuff is the 5x5 wheel pattern.

The LS1 rotor is 5*4.75.

A good dual piston caliper will be made out of aluminum so it will be lighter. Reducing unsprung mass. The dual pistons have a higher surface area than the single piston requiring less force for equal braking. And a good caliper, like the LS1/Corvette PBR design, will use free floating pistons that react quicker not only to applying pressure, but to releasing pressure as well.