You can type here any text you want

Big time knock when I punch it, none w/ gradual accel

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

zhorner

Looking to Buy
I am new to turbo buicks and spend about an hour or more a day on this sites search function. Ive learned a lot in the past month and appreciate all the helps folks I really do...but this knock is killin me. I have idle fuel @ 47 psi, boost @ 19 psi, fuel 96 octane. Motor mounts are new and I have the tow strap in the engine bay, downpipe isnt touching anything either.

When I smash the pedal I get red lights like crazy from my knock sensor, but if I slowly work my way up to wot its all green. This issue is killin me as I cant enjoy this thing to its full potential. Anyone have a similar issue that they resolved? Id sure appreciate any help or advice.

you are definitely not going through anything new........with that being said you need to try a few things....first off that fuel pressure seems a bit high. How much kr are are you getting and at what mv redaing? If you roll into it and its clean and then stab the throttle and get kr it may be something rattleing giving you false knock. However you really need to back the boost down.

Have you tried running say 15psi and does it still do it? I do not see a scanmaster in your mod list....are you just using a digital led knock gauge? If so that is not going to help you diagnose the issue. back down the boost before you hurt it, you need to know what is going on and provide a lil more info so we can help you figure it out.

Whos chip? What is the timing? Have you checked the trans mount? What torque converter? Checked the TC bolts? Wheel hop ? Logs of runs ?

Bryan

no SM or PL but am in the process of purchasing. I cant tell you the amount of KR all i have is the LED gauge. The car came with an extender chip from 2002 set at 98 octane. I know the TT alky chips are popular, is it worth the switch? Not sure on the TC and have not checked the bolts but i will.

sorry i cant give you more info i really appreciate yalls time though. Any more thoughts or ideas?

well untill you can get a scan master or PL, go over your exhaust,trans mount converter bolts ect......basically anything that can rattle and cause false knock. Second TURN THE BOOST DOWN......it is real easy to make a simple tune issue into a big problem when you have knock...especially since you have no idea if it's real knock and how much you are getting. Turn the boost down to 14-15psi if it goes away then I suggest leaving it there utill you can get a scan master/PL

Sources for real knock can be many things but is near impossible to diagnose without knowing some of the above mentioned things. You mentioned that you are new to these cars and you have searcehd this site.....well even being around these cars for a long time I can tell you there is always something new to learn. The best thing you can do is turn the boost down or keep your foot out of it until you can get some more info on what the engine is doing.

knock

I would guess without more data that if your chip was for 98 octane and you are running 96 that the timing is probably to high

no SM or PL but am in the process of purchasing. I cant tell you the amount of KR all i have is the LED gauge. The car came with an extender chip from 2002 set at 98 octane. I know the TT alky chips are popular, is it worth the switch? Not sure on the TC and have not checked the bolts but i will.

sorry i cant give you more info i really appreciate yalls time though. Any more thoughts or ideas?

The Caspers gauge does not measure KR it measures Knock Counts. One is just the sensor responding the other is the computer actually doing something to prevent engine damage.

Back