You can type here any text you want

Bigger main journal crank in development from DLS?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TurboBuRick

Staff member
Was at a buddies house last night. He just got his motor back from being built by DLS. We were doing some tuning to his car and he started telling me about a crank in development that is suppose to have bigger (wider) main journals. He said Dan from DLS is having them made. Would like some info on this. Dan?

Rick

Im not sure I see the benefit from this development that spot isnt really the weak link. The weak link is the offset rod journals.
If you have wider main journal the blocks saddle is still the same width; unless you go with a whole new block design.
Are you sure he said main journals and not ROD journals?

Dan's new stroker cranks are all wide journal.They require a different rod
than the older style because of this.
In not sure if there is a budget rod(K1 type) available wide journal

Was at a buddies house last night. He just got his motor back from being built by DLS. We were doing some tuning to his car and he started telling me about a crank in development that is suppose to have bigger (wider) main journals. He said Dan from DLS is having them made. Would like some info on this. Dan?

Rick

Rick,
Our new stroker cranks (3.625 ) have the tradition Buick wide journals on
the rods ,this will allow for the use of the stanard race bearings plus will
spread the cylinder load over a bit more area. We do have these cranks in
stock,the rods are in the final stages of development .

Rick,
Our new stroker cranks (3.625 ) have the tradition Buick wide journals on
the rods ,this will allow for the use of the stanard race bearings plus will
spread the cylinder load over a bit more area. We do have these cranks in
stock,the rods are in the final stages of development .

Dan, you can put this in a 109 block? :eek: :cool: How about the pistons? Would I need to buy new ones? What are talking price wise? TIA

Rick

That makes sense now ROD JOURNALS.
Whats the projected cost?

There is nothing new about wide rod bearings. S2 engines have been built using the wider bearings for a very long time.

The real problem is availability of good bearings. Clevite discontinued the V's in .001 OS and .001US. This makes fitting bearings for exact oil clearance difficult. The H series are still available.........for now.

Dan did mention correcting oil hole alignment (on his website I think). I'd like to hear more about the specifics on what DLS has done differently on the crank design.

Dan, you can put this in a 109 block? :eek: :cool: How about the pistons? Would I need to buy new ones? What are talking price wise? TIA

Rick

Rick,
Although it would be possible to install the 3.750 crank in a 109 block I
wouldn't recommend it. The increased side loading on the cylinder walls could
be a problem . Since we have several 109 's with 3.625 stroke cranks exceding 900 hp I really don't see the need.

Gee Dave I though I had already explained the wide journal in my use of the
word "traditional ". And I for one have no problem setting oil clearances with
the bearings available . Sometimes the answers don't always come in a box.

Dan,

You feeling out of sorts?

I don't have any problems getting clearances correct.....Just commenting on the lack of bearing selection.

We corrected the oil feeds, counter weight placement, key
way problems and flange issues.

It looks like you are criticizing me for restating the wide vs. narrow bearing info........sorry if I butted in where I'm not needed. But you really didn't answer my questions. What did you do different to improve on the crank design?

BTW, We talked on the phone 2 weeks ago about a crank and set of rods for a customer's engine......I figured I'd hold my order until you got your rods done.

Back