You can type here any text you want

Biggest tire possible on stock GN rim?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

wu6fiend

I have a bone stock, 1986 GN (except for its tires, which arent original). I've owned the car about two months, and am slowly learning about GNs.

A couple of questions:

-what is the stock tire size for the 1986 GN?

-what is the largest tire you can fit on the stock GN rim, without spacers, without notching the frame, and without rubbing issues?

I'm leaning toward a set of BFG Radial TAs, or a set of Goodyears.

Thanks.

------------------------
1986 GN Hardtop, all stock
1999 Trans Am Firehawk, not so stock

stock size is 215/65

235/60's will fit all around.

255/60's in back work good too.

Getting bigger than this with stock GN wheels and rubbing becomes hit/miss.

You could probably get away with 275/60's out back, with some frame rubbing in corners.

Bfg

Had stock GN rims on my old GN and ran 275/50/15 DR's kept the snickers close to 26", on her but she also had the fender wheelwells / lips puckered in. Think GNTTYPE has a how to section on notching the wheel well and wheelwell trim. The guy who I got the car from rolled the lips,they fit great no rubbing.... The fatter the better in the rear, reminds me of the old Deep Purple song Highway Star, "She's got Big Fat tires and everything I love her I need her I'm a Highway Star;;;;;;

I used to run 275/60's and they will definitely rub a little. That said, I would pull 1.8 60 fts all night long on them(stock tranny,stock motor-12.9's at 105). I currently have bfg 265/50's and they look good but they spin easier. Keep in mind they will wear in the middle fast and air them down for racin:cool:

Back