You can type here any text you want

Biggest Turbo for stock convertor?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
A stock turbo will spool best with a stock converter. You could easily upgrade to a TA49 or a TE44 with the stock converter and still keep lag to an acceptable level.

I wouldn't go more than a PT-51 or 52. If you want to get a bit more umph without too much lag......take Turbodaves' advice and stick to the 44 or 49.

Once you install that TA-49 though.....there is no going back when you get to hear that whistle. choo choo :tongue:

Not Trying To Hijack But

what about the GT6131? Would that turbo also be suitable for a stock converter?

I have read that it will spool up earlier than some of the T-series turbos making it just within the limits of the stock convertor. I would try it out on the stocker if I had the money and if it just didnt feel right --- then Id upgrade. Like Turbodave said and Yella said stay within the 51's realm and you should be fine.

By any chance are you running a scan master and alky?

Blaze said:
what about the GT6131? Would that turbo also be suitable for a stock converter?

I think you need a 3000/3200 at least to make it shine.

In my opinion, if you are going to replace the converter in the near future, go ahead and get the turbo that you want. You will just have to deal with the lag for a while.

My friend is running a TE63-1 with a restalled D5. It's got lag but it still runs low 11's in street trim.

I ran, and still am, a PT52. For the first year or so, I was running the stock D5. I upgraded to the CK's 9x11 3600. I could not have picked a better converter. You can pick up a single disc for $575.

justabuickv6 said:
In my opinion, if you are going to replace the converter in the near future, go ahead and get the turbo that you want. You will just have to deal with the lag for a while.

I agree 100% with the above.

I'll add that you will probably not like a 52 with the stock converter - been there, done that...

strike

Back