Blow thru alky Cheyenne

Hyboost4Banger

Trannybreaker to be
I know this is not a Buick related topic, and hope you guys are open to seeing my stuff. Alky is the topic, and I have learned so much by installing it on my Talon...... it caused me to turbo my work truck .......and .....now install alky on the turbo'd work truck. The addiction appears to be speading from car to truck


1972 Cheyenne Super 10 2wd LB
355 cid SBC TH 350 Super 70 T-4 turbo
Currently tuned @ 7 psi no IC
hoping to see 12-15 psi w/Alky
 

Attachments

  • Picture044.JPG
    Picture044.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 187
  • Picture054.JPG
    Picture054.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 191
  • Picture230.JPG
    Picture230.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 159
Raymond Bunch said:
I like it! :cool: Are you going to be using using methanol? How much HP?

Yes I will spray straight meth. Not sure on power. I am limited by cast pistons and a carburetor. If I can get this 4500 lb hunk thru the 1/4 mi traps in 12.5 seconds I will be happy ....... shooting for 550 hp


I mounted my 2.5 gallon alky jug next to and underneath my battery tray.

....bottom side picture too

trucks got LOTS of room to put stuff.
 

Attachments

  • Picture231.JPG
    Picture231.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 122
  • Picture232.JPG
    Picture232.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 125
Hyboost4Banger said:
Yes I will spray straight meth. Not sure on power. I am limited by cast pistons and a carburetor. If I can get this 4500 lb hunk thru the 1/4 mi traps in 12.5 seconds I will be happy ....... shooting for 550 hp


I mounted my 2.5 gallon alky jug next to and underneath my battery tray.

....bottom side picture too

trucks got LOTS of room to put stuff.

SWEET! I really like what your doing and educating some of us at the same time. I always say dare to be diffrent. Keep up the good work and lets see some track times when everything is said and done.

Ray
 
Raymond Bunch said:
SWEET! I really like what your doing and educating some of us at the same time. I always say dare to be diffrent. Keep up the good work and lets see some track times when everything is said and done.

Ray


Thanks for the encouragement. Glad to be different. The Track doesn't open for a while,...... allows for lots of good tuning and feedback time before hand.


Hope it all holds together!.
 
Hyboost4Banger said:
Wouldn't have a clue if it wasn't for you...

hey, that rhymes.


Have you done any blow thru's?

Http://www.blown70.50megs.com

Nah...

Watch your seal on the hat.. and I assumme you already did the mods to the carb like the floats, boost ref FPR, etc..

Dont make the mistake I did and use the clear Mr.Gasket sights on the carb... that cost me the car.. Fire was a bad thing.. :(

Keep up the good work.. sorry got ya addicted :biggrin:
 
Razor said:
Http://www.blown70.50megs.com

Nah...

Watch your seal on the hat.. and I assumme you already did the mods to the carb like the floats, boost ref FPR, etc..

Dont make the mistake I did and use the clear Mr.Gasket sights on the carb... that cost me the car.. Fire was a bad thing.. :(

Keep up the good work.. sorry got ya addicted :biggrin:



Ooooowch! So sorry man. That was a nice ride. yikes!,
they say hindsight is 20-20.

No plastic see thru's here. do have plastic non-see thru nitrofil center hung floats, jet extensions....blah blah



more specs below


Engine........................355 4blt SBC, self ported & milled heads,8.8-1 comp
Turbo or blower..........XS POWER T4 Super t70 50mm WG
Carburetor...................homebuilt non DP Holley with electric choke (650cfm?) but not sure
Jetting........................72/81
PVRS...........................5/16" (or .074")
Needle/seats............... .110"
Bonnet.......................Homemade (5" exhaust,w/ 3" inlet)
Fuel pump...................Bosch VW CIS
Regulator...................Mallory 4309
Boost.........................7 psi (for now)
Intercooler..................none (1 M15 jet ready for progressive alky controller install)
Total timing.................27 mechanical, 5 vac. , BTM set on -3
Track #'s....................PIR this spring
MPH...........................My initials
Butt Dyno....................No peceptible turbo lag..... and No traction
Cam...........................Comp cams 268H 4 * adv.
TRUCK weight..................Estimated 4400 lbs w/driver
 
Hemm

I gona have to watch out for that truck. :rolleyes: I hope to have mine set to kill by spring. I tried to talk my dad and brother into the alky thing but they say they don't need it. the fatty on the 383 stroker

Oh well. I can't wait till the track opens its going to be a good year. :D
 
volvoman said:
I gona have to watch out for that truck. :rolleyes: I hope to have mine set to kill by spring. I tried to talk my dad and brother into the alky thing but they say they don't need it. the fatty on the 383 stroker

Oh well. I can't wait till the track opens its going to be a good year. :D

Hey Volvoman!

Oh.... but they do need it! they just don't know yet. The disbelievers help keep "our little secret" safe.

Blow thru's are getting more popular. What kind of car is that 383 in?

I'm getting excited to crank up the boost on the truck. Got the jug and lines leak tested, and checked spray pattern last night. Wish all this rain would go away so I could test it out.
 
Razor?

I have a couple of burning questions.

1) Is there a check valve in the alky filter you sell? I noticed a directional arrow stamped on the side and wondered. I have yet to take either one apart

2) When spraying meth into a carb..... (if the droplets evaporate completely there is no question), .....carbs in a sense rely on incoming air to create mixture.....if the mist droplets go into the air bleeds it will change the A/F due to fuel content going in the air bleeds. I have wondered if this would cause any issues. I can't think of any besides a richer mixture. Your thoughts?
 
I have done a few blow through alky setups. One was on a Windsor.. it made like 800 to the wheels.. no issues. The heat generated by compressing air will take care of any alky sitting around.

You did the 2 bar MAP correct.. and remember to recalibrate the turnon for the 2 bar. Typically like 11 o'clock will give you a 4 PSI turnon.

The filter is just that.. a filter. You can take it apart and blow it out backwards.. then retape it.. reassemble it.

My understanding on blow throughs is to keep the boost under 10 PSI, almost any carb will work. On mine I had to peg the jets on the secondaries to keep it from leaning out.. higher boost levels will require a specialty carb.. Maybe had I done alky on my BBC.. I wouldnt had to build 5 motors for it due to detonation issues..

I didnt know anything about detonation.. I thought I could hear it.. blew holes through TRW's, SRP's, JE's.. but thats how one learns.. go figure, ever since I've been messing with these V6 Buick motors.. like 4 years now.. never hurt an engine.. gone through some gaskets :biggrin: from being greedy..

Those that think they can hammer big boost without octane consequences.. they'll find out. :wink:
 
280z datsun :)

Hyboost4Banger said:
What kind of car is that 383 in?
Ther is some more pictures Here

They are going to be running on e-82 or somthing. Idaho seems to sell that to farmers :D I am sure they will change there minds I hope.
 
Razor said:
You did the 2 bar MAP correct.. and remember to recalibrate the turnon for the 2 bar. Typically like 11 o'clock will give you a 4 PSI turnon.

I have your complete kit with a 3 bar MAP. I was saving it for a higher boost application......( but, maybe I should use it ?) ... For the truck, I was going to use a hobbs switch with a turn on @ 4psi., a single M-10 nozzle, pump w/plate, and boost set @ 10psi to start. I may work up to a M-15. I was going to hook it all up in a few minutes..


My understanding on blow throughs is to keep the boost under 10 PSI, almost any carb will work. On mine I had to peg the jets on the secondaries to keep it from leaning out.. higher boost levels will require a specialty carb.. Maybe had I done alky on my BBC.. I wouldnt had to build 5 motors for it due to detonation issues..

I didnt know anything about detonation.. I thought I could hear it.. blew holes through TRW's, SRP's, JE's.. but thats how one learns.. go figure, ever since I've been messing with these V6 Buick motors.. like 4 years now.. never hurt an engine.. gone through some gaskets :biggrin: from being greedy..

Whoa. Mindblower. The Alky-King lost 5 Big Blocks to detonation.

Steep learing curve

Those that think they can hammer big boost without octane consequences.. they'll find out. :wink:

I'm dialing back my timing as we speak
 
I got the alky flowing last night. It has been raining in torrents here so no super duper power pulls yet. Dialed my timing back 5* not wanting to take any chances.....human ears are NOT good knock sensors. A really cool thing that I didn't plan on........I mounted the Alky jug right behind the passenger headlight....at night the sealed beam headlamp leaks some light backwards around the three prong plug, ....and my alky jug glows! Lights it up enough to see the level of fluid inside . Couldn't have planned that feature any better.
As soon as we dry out, I'm going to repace the m-10 with a m-15 and turn the boost up a bit. With only the addition of alky...(No other changes) my boost crept up 1 psi.
 
It's been awhile since I last reported on the Truck. I have been thru a few trials and trubulations with it ....but ..hey, that's the way it goes. The clincher is.....I was only using the primary two barrels of the carb and didn't know the secondaries were not opening. :confused: My fault on two counts. I guess I ignored the obvoius and built a vacuum secondary carb ......that won't work for blow thru, .........and found my throttle linkage wouldn't allow the secondaries to open anyways..... :( Now that all the barrels open I see 10 psi by 2800 rpm

I built up a 650 double pumper with mechanical secondaries......and exchanged the M-10 alky jet for a M-15

I thought the Turbo Cheyenne had alot of power before....

HOLY COW!

This ain't right. My motor mounts stretch like taffy, rear tires melt like cheese .......
 

Attachments

  • Junkers006.JPG
    Junkers006.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 158
sweet..

Hyboost4Banger said:
It's been awhile since I last reported on the Truck. I have been thru a few trials and trubulations with it ....but ..hey, that's the way it goes. The clincher is.....I was only using the primary two barrels of the carb and didn't know the secondaries were not opening. :confused: My fault on two counts. I guess I ignored the obvoius and built a vacuum secondary carb ......that won't work for blow thru, .........and found my throttle linkage wouldn't allow the secondaries to open anyways..... :( Now that all the barrels open I see 10 psi by 2800 rpm

I built up a 650 double pumper with mechanical secondaries......and exchanged the M-10 alky jet for a M-15

I thought the Turbo Cheyenne had alot of power before....

HOLY COW!

This ain't right. My motor mounts stretch like taffy, rear tires melt like cheese .......

can't wait to see it at the track!!!
 
Hyboost4Banger said:
It's been awhile since I last reported on the Truck. I have been thru a few trials and trubulations with it ....but ..hey, that's the way it goes. The clincher is.....I was only using the primary two barrels of the carb and didn't know the secondaries were not opening. :confused: My fault on two counts. I guess I ignored the obvoius and built a vacuum secondary carb ......that won't work for blow thru, .........and found my throttle linkage wouldn't allow the secondaries to open anyways..... :( Now that all the barrels open I see 10 psi by 2800 rpm

I built up a 650 double pumper with mechanical secondaries......and exchanged the M-10 alky jet for a M-15

I thought the Turbo Cheyenne had alot of power before....

HOLY COW!

This ain't right. My motor mounts stretch like taffy, rear tires melt like cheese .......

Sounds awesome. One thing I had found when I ran mine was the secondaries wanted really large jets.. and the primaries I had to be careful with the jetting if not it ran really rich. On a 750dp I believe I was running 76's in the fronts and 98's in the rears. To bad I didnt know bout meth injection at the time I owned it.
 
Razor said:
Sounds awesome. One thing I had found when I ran mine was the secondaries wanted really large jets.. and the primaries I had to be careful with the jetting if not it ran really rich. On a 750dp I believe I was running 76's in the fronts and 98's in the rears. To bad I didnt know bout meth injection at the time I owned it.

I did a lot of research into blow thru carbs before I built the 650. The 750's and 800's have driveability issues like what you expirienced with having to run big primary jets .......unless you go to annular venturis. CSU carbs was very helpful by the way. Just like they said, this 650 is perfect. Idle, off idle response, Choke, and WOT. I never thought a carb could compare to FI. I have yet to put a WB on, but it feels pretty good

72 Primaries
81 Secondaries
Jet extensions
Nitrofyl floats
.120" needles
5/16" PVRC's
Drilled PV blowout protector
50cc front pump
#31 squirters

1 alky m-15, 4 psi turn on

All this......= Sleepless nights of itching to apply massive burned rubber strips to asphalt :biggrin:
 
Back
Top