You can type here any text you want

Blower motor high speed fix

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

John Larkin

Sublime Master of Turbology
I thought I was going to have to buy a new relay, the metal one that hangs on the a/c box. I separated it from the connector, gently pried open the 4 tangs and removed the metal cover. There is a set of contacts inside. When these contacts close, that is what gives you the high speed (4th or top switch position) blower. Dragging a piece of sandpaper through these contacts cleaned them enough to let the red wire feed 12 volts to the purple wire on the connector. Voila, high speed blower for $0.

FWIW, the voltages you see at the purple wire in the connector should be as follows: low speed 3.2v, 2nd speed 5.8v, 3rd speed 7.5v, and high speed 12.0 (maybe 11.9). The red wire 11.9v - 12.0v all the time with the key on. The blue wire should match the purple wire voltage.

Just thought I would share.

Thanks, had same issue, but different fix, my plug near the antenna plug was rusted slightly and not making good contact, a good cleaning fixed the problem....
(the main plug for the box assembly)
it's nice to help our fellow buick friends out when we find similar issues....

Yep, just like filing points in the old days. Our old relay is probably better quality than a new .

I thought I was going to have to buy a new relay, the metal one that hangs on the a/c box. I separated it from the connector, gently pried open the 4 tangs and removed the metal cover. There is a set of contacts inside. When these contacts close, that is what gives you the high speed (4th or top switch position) blower. Dragging a piece of sandpaper through these contacts cleaned them enough to let the red wire feed 12 volts to the purple wire on the connector. Voila, high speed blower for $0.

FWIW, the voltages you see at the purple wire in the connector should be as follows: low speed 3.2v, 2nd speed 5.8v, 3rd speed 7.5v, and high speed 12.0 (maybe 11.9). The red wire 11.9v - 12.0v all the time with the key on. The blue wire should match the purple wire voltage.

Just thought I would share.

Just fixed mine with John's procedure... worked good - thought it was the connector everyone speaks of, but it looked good, and with the wiring on the bottom connector almost unreachable to do a splice, this was what I tried instead and worked out... Thanks!

Last edited:
Back