Blowoff valve

You'll excuse me if I don't chuckle too loudly on that one. The day I take Turbonetics word on anything will truely be a dark day!! Trust me, TNetics is NOT the "be all to end all" in the turbo world.
Sorry, but there are a ton of other far more reputable turbo builders in the world that will tell you when a BOV is needed and when it's not.

For what it's worth, I've had my hand next to the turbo with the MAF pipe removed and when letting off the gas, there's a noticable suck/blow at the turbo. I can feel air coming back out the wrong way.

Just ordered another BOV to go with my new turbo because after test driving the new setup and hearing the massive surge of the new turbo, I'm not risking $900. Had one installed with stock turbo and intercooler and it was helpful then too.

Just told my friend about it today and mister know-it-all "YOU DON'T NEED ONE!", it's not about lost boost pressure while shifting a stick shift, it's about having your turbo hit a brick wall and start spinning backwards.

it's not about lost boost pressure while shifting a stick shift, it's about having your turbo hit a brick wall and start spinning backwards.

Well but simply put.

Nice sig by the way.

all im saying is the really fast non buick guys all run them and i know its not for the sound but hey i guess if everybody was jumping off a bridge i would too.call any bigtime turbo shop and i bet they will tell ya to run one heck cotton even has them for sale on his website :0.here is one real world racing use for a blowoff valve in an automatic car.say you takeoff spooled up and you lose traction and get a little out of shape and have to get all the way out of the car and you got one of these big hard to spool turbos now if you have to spool it all the way back up it will hurt you but if the turbo is still spining because of the blowoff valve and only takes a fraction of a second to spool the turbo because of this and you win the race because of this just one time then it has payed for itself.

If I ran a $2-3k turbo in Outlaw I would get a $300 blow off to protect it if I wanted it to survive another season etc. But this would mean I cared about keeping the same turbo which in reality, isn't the case with how turbo technology is evolving and how ones power needs change so often.

We are talking about smaller turbo's on automatics which the majority of us have never had any turbo blade damage due to compressor surge. Oil debris killing the cartridge and in return causing the blades to rub yes, but due to compressor surge the vast majority of us would say no. Many stock turbo owners over 100k to prove it.

So for the majority of us the question is $300 Blow Off or maybe a turbo rebuild if we even stick with the turbo long enough to need it.

I do have a Blow Off but never asked myself the question above which would have resulted in me NOT getting one.

i understand your point if you are going to change turbos alot but if not then its a good thing to have i feel.what about the senario i posted do you not feel that this is a very good point to have one because it does cut spooling time down after a throttle lift then gettin back on the throttle even in an automatic.im interested to hear how the non-blowoff guys will argue this point

IMHO... it is another failure point that might keep you from achieving full boost.... or if it leaked a little... it wouldn't be easy to detect....and you would be working your turbo harder for the same boost....

I like they way they sound... but I'm not going to run one... for now anyway...

I'm with TurboDave,he knows his chit! Add me to the list of high mile turbos with no BOV! I often make it sneeze on purpose,scares the crap out of pedestrians.:biggrin: