Bobby Unser TTA festival car

prototype

The car was Bobby Unser's festival car. It is in as new condition. It has its track duty miles and a few exercise ones since. There are some nice extra items that came with the car.

I've also got a new GNX and sure like looking at it but the history of this car is quite special.

I'm going to sell one of these cars and an sure by posting here I'll get a couple serious inquiries.

Great site and thanks for the space!

Bobby Unser’s 1989 Pontiac Trans-Am Festival pace car. 1381 total miles, just the way Bobby left it- with loads of memorabilia and documentation. Of the 1500+ pace cars, 100 were Indy 500 Festival cars, hand massaged by Prototype Automotive Services in the City of Industry, CA, and delivered to Indianapolis for dignitaries and race officials to drive during the month of May. In 1989, three-time Indy 500 champion Bobby Unser was chosen to drive the Pace Car and at the same time combined his driving talents to serve as expert commentator for ABC television. This car served as Bobby’s personal Indy Festival car, he logged 1132 miles on the car personally (all documented in a letter), mostly while lapping the famed 2 ½ mile oval with dignitaries and special guests. Bobby made special arrangements for the purchase of this car the Tuesday following the 1989 Indy 500. Because of the manner in which Bobby arranged the sale and purchase, this Festival car is equipped with the coveted Indy Festival No. 98 license plate (a special number for Bobby that denoted the number of the Agajanian cars he drove years ago) and the special key fobs. Other memorabilia includes 2 autographed photos, ABC decal, 1989 Indy 500 program, special parking and traffic access windshield decals, the coveted silver garage and pit access badge, Muscle Car Review and Car and Driver magazines with articles, baseball caps, white poplin jacket with Indy and pace car logos.

Dale Armstrong was the lucky fellow who purchased this car. Dale was Kenny Bernstein’s crew chief for many years. His wife was a press secretary for the Unser family and Kenny Bernstein. Dale wanted a TTA and the red carpet was rolled out on this transaction.

Stored in climate controlled garage since 1989 and periodically exercised since Bobby relinquished the car to Don Sisk Pontiac.

I have not decided on a price, it will be in the GNX range. I'd like to sell this or my GNX, the GNX market is more clearly defined, this car however is a loose cannon. I'm not trying to wind anyones watch but last year I wanted the backup 86 & 98 pace cars that sold at the Florida BJ auction. They sold for over $80 and $90 respectively. 86 & 98 Corvettes are in the teens and twenties.

Not sure if this car's time is here yet. Might want to hold on to it a little longer. IMO I think the only way you'll max out is a 10 day auction on ebay with plenty of pictures and info. Unless Gary Wells wants it! :wink: This car is a awesome piece of american history and someday it will bring sick money! :cool:

phillyturbosix said:
Not sure if this car's time is here yet. Might want to hold on to it a little longer. IMO I think the only way you'll max out is a 10 day auction on ebay with plenty of pictures and info. Unless Gary Wells wants it! :wink: This car is a awesome piece of american history and someday it will bring sick money! :cool:

hey we agree on something :p as soon as I die the prices will go to the moon :eek:

Like Dan Akroid in Trading Places explaining his Prized Buame & Mercier Watch
to the guy in the Pawn Shop (Country Music Legend whose name escapes me now)...

He went on and on about how Precious and Extremely valuable it was, it ended like this:
"are you done"
"Uh, yes"
"In Philadelphia it's worth FIFTY BUCKS!"...
":eek: , uh..I'll take it"

Philly, I was looking at your photos. So you go to the NE Lincoln/Merc show. If your the guy sticking out your tongue, I made the shirt you are wearing. I lived up there until 2001. What area do you live?

That's Hooper wearing that shirt not me :) I do have one of those shirts though. I live about 5 mins from NE Lincoln/Merc. I'm near Rhawn and Frankford. :cool:

phillyturbosix said:
That's Hooper wearing that shirt not me :) I do have one of those shirts though. I live about 5 mins from NE Lincoln/Merc. I'm near Rhawn and Frankford. :cool:

Know the area well. I grew up around Cottman and Algon before I moved up to Bucks County. When I first saw the GN and TTA, I thought you might be Mom's GN. I forget her name, but I know her husband had a TTA. I used to get a kick out of a 60 year old Mom kicking some arse on Woodhaven Road with her GN.

Ray sells me parts for my Mustang and Joe from JD's did the majority of the work on my cars when I lived up there. I had an 86 GN at one time, low miles. Spun a rod about a month after buying it. Had 14,000 miles, but after we had the engine opened, looked like it was 14,000 miles a 1/4 mile at a time.

Sorry to hijack this thread, just got a kick out of seeing an old neighbor. Rich

Not sure if Mom's GN comes on the boards or not. I saw her a few times out at some local crusies. I know Ray very well! He puts together a nice cruise night! I keep saying I'm going to move out of NE Philly but it's hard to leave this area. Everything is so close to everything. I can walk anywhere for anything! And I'm right down the street from Ben Phila! :)

When I was in the market for a GN a friend of mine who owned several new told me to keep one thing in mind.. if it's got 10K on it or 100K it's had the balls beat out of it! He was right! After my GN blew up I called the original owner and he told me he beat the crap out of it from day one! :eek: So I know how you feel when that happend!

trophystock: I was thinking the same thing! Fred how do you get those cars up there! I don't know if I would want to sit in that TTA to long! It would just drive me nuts! :)

Another NE Philly boy here. Grew up in Torresdale (Frankford and Pearson), went to St. Katherine's and Archbishop Ryan...1989 into the service, moved to Kansas after the military, never moved back....miss the food and the old friends.

I think the friends and food are the main things that keep me here! Philly has changed allot over the years and is one of the "hot spots""the place to live" now so it's like crazy traffic anymore. Those row homes that were 60K are now 190K! and that happend in the last 5 years! :eek:

"a few times out at some local crusies"

Jim, your KIDDING me, don't you guys still hang out every Sunday Night (Weather Permitting) somewhere near the Boulevard??? I know Frank would alway's be out! And Wes(Mom's Husband) would ALWAY's be there with his TTA! That's the Best part of Livin in (or Near) Philly, the Sunday Night Boulevard RACING!! :D

Is there still racing down on Front Street? About once a year I get back to visit family and friends and take in some hogies, cheese steaks, stromboli, seafood, pizza, & soft pretzels, etc.... Is it still illegal for the police to use radar in the city limits?? Do you guys know my cousin Frank Ski?

I work Sunday's Brian so I don't know what they do on the Blvd. I know they race there but it's only once in awhile here and there. Nothing regular that I know of.

The police have came down hard on the people who race esp. down front street. You get a ticket if your just driving down the street! Friend of mine saw a friend and they were parked right across from the Phillies ball park late on a Sat night. Police rolled up and wrote them over 1K in tickets for street racing and all this other crap. They were sitting there just talking cars turned off. It's all rice down there now and you'll see one or two muscle cars. Usually some kid bought a Rustang and is stupid. So anyone with a brain stays away from Front street. If your missing owners card.. insurance card.. anything instant tow and that will cost you over a grand to get your car back after it's smashed up at the impound!

Just Vascar in the city. No radar. Anymore though if your speeding they will just pull you over and give you a ticket for wreckless driving or something. I think that's even worse then a speeding ticket.

Not sure if I know Frank Ski.. the name rings a bell for some reason!

Here is a video I think from last year or the year before.. one summer down Front street.. LINK HERE This is what has happend down there and you'll see why people stay away! Not worth the trouble!

TClassic said:
"a few times out at some local crusies"

Jim, your KIDDING me, don't you guys still hang out every Sunday Night (Weather Permitting) somewhere near the Boulevard??? I know Frank would alway's be out! And Wes(Mom's Husband) would ALWAY's be there with his TTA! That's the Best part of Livin in (or Near) Philly, the Sunday Night Boulevard RACING!! :D

That's pretty much dead, nothing but a bunch of fart pipes and such.

This was the site a lot of the guys from up at Woodhaven used to hang out on, don't know if they still do.

http://forums.godragracing.com

I used to use the Boulevard for a test 'n tune on Sunday nights. Come around Holmes Circle and go for it. In the old days we used to run Decator Road before they put up an extra light or two. Front Street is a pit now as well.