Body Bushings stuff

Paul Clark

I need 'em (87 GN)
Can I install them without killing myself?
How many are there total (tops, bottoms, and GNX)?
What material should they be made out of?
Who's got the best price currently?
I don't ask for much . :)
Thanks
Paul

Best place to get them is Kirban Performance. They seem to have the best pricing.

As far as what you need? They sell a kit that is complete with every bushing on the GN. The only ones you have to buy sep. is the missing GNX Bushings!

Now the body bushings are simple to replace. Took me about 1.5 hours to do all of them. The GNX Bushings are a bit more complecated. You have to lift the body off the frame in order to reach the spot where they fit (right behind the rear seat on both sides) That was a nightmare! Go to http://gnttype.org and find the instructions on exactly how to do it.

I used poly bushings I got from Jack Cotton. The set was $160 if I remember right and it came with the GNX bushing. The ride is incredible with them and the car sits up off the frame now, in a good way. (really helps when pulling the trans) As far as putting them in goes it's fairly straight forward. Just follow the directions on gnttype and make sure you do one complete side at a time. (drivers and THEN passengers or visa versa) You should also soak the bolts as much as possable with WD40 or something for several days before you do the upgrade so you can hopefully get away with not breaking any bolts. I personally would buy new bolts before you start and not re-use the old ones. I know mine were AFU so I had to go track down bolts half way through. Of course my car is a Canada GN so there's a good bit (read: allot) of corrosion under it. HTH. james

i went with the energy poly bushings from summit for 110, includes all 24 bushings, including the GNK bushings and missing bushings. If you want to go for the stock rubber mounts, your best bet is to go to gnttype.org and get all of the part numbers and order them from gmpartsdirect.com. dont get the from kirban because like everything else, they're waaaay overpriced. HTH

so if I didn't care anything about the GNX bushings then I should be able to drop the bolts and push the bushing out and push the new one in...no biggee...right?

no, you must lift the frame off of the body to do the bushings, GNX or not....The procedure is on gnttype.org and is very detailed and helpful. however, if your car has high miles or was ever exposed to rust, the bolts will not just come out. I did mine on my 190k GN and i had to cut holes in the trunk and floorboards to remove the bolts and weld all new plates it.....wound up taking about 2-3 days. id go under there and take a look before you just start taking bolts out, you may get more than you bargained for under there....

The poly mounts are on the way. $110 from Jegs. Kit does not include the GNX bushings, however.
A bonus was talking to the sales guy. He has a Limited that runs in the 10s.
Questions -
1. How do you soak bolts with penetrating fluid if you can't get to the bolts?
Does part of the interior have to be removed?
2. Impact wrench or breaker bar?
3. Nailing a couple of 2x4s together to lift the body doesn't sound too cool to me - but I'm a wimp.
:(
Thanks
Paul

Paul Clark said:
The poly mounts are on the way. $110 from Jegs. Kit does not include the GNX bushings, however.
A bonus was talking to the sales guy. He has a Limited that runs in the 10s.
Questions -
1. How do you soak bolts with penetrating fluid if you can't get to the bolts?
Does part of the interior have to be removed?
2. Impact wrench or breaker bar?
3. Nailing a couple of 2x4s together to lift the body doesn't sound too cool to me - but I'm a wimp.
:(
Thanks
Paul
The poly kit does include the "GNX" bushing (which came stock on some other G-body's, so I'm not sure why its referred to as the GNX bushing, but I digress). When I soaked the bolts I just crawled under the car and tried to get them the best I could. Its been recomended to drill small holes above the bushings from the cabin then spray them from there.

Use the impact.

I didnt' nail any 2x4's together, just got a random really wide piece of wood to jack up with, seemed to work okay.

just get them the best you can, if your car has been garaged and not exposed to the elements much, they should come right out.....best to use an impact, but make sure when you put them back in tighten thwem by hand and tourque to spec(very important)

Bolts are out. Used an impact on low setting and kept going back and forth from tighten to loosen. Nothing broke.
Took the bumpers off.
Wondering if you can install the mounts without jacking up the rear of the car (I only have one set of jack stands)
If a couple of the bushings are okay, can I just use them in the "GNX" install spots? If so - are the bolts anything special? Maybe just go to a hardware store and see if they can match them?
rose1mr - Give me some details, please. Why were they so hard to do?
Thanks

you probably "could" do it without kacking up the rear, but its much much easier with the car high in the air and level.....you have to use the GNX bushings in the #5 spot because there are no bolts there and they fit in a certain way.

Since I'm lazy and skinny enough, I didn't jack the car up when I did the bushings on the Cutlass. Just jacked the body off the frame and had no real problems except for all the bolts behind the rear wheels breaking. The "GNX" bushings didn't seem to be a big deal to get in. Jack the body off the frame, slip them in.