Body bushings: why so many part #'s?

The lower bushings are another fine product from canada, ya know, eh?

jojo, the reason why you do the missing 6 lowers only, because even someone who knows nothing about cars can put them on in less than 1/2 hour.

Replacing the uppers And lowers takes 1/2 a day with lots of jacking, busted knuckle skin, frustration and grief and sometimes expensive broken parts. And you get 90% of the benefits, just by doing the six lowers.

For a pro like Turbodave or Steve Wood, Uppers and lowers may be worth it, but for guy like you jojo, do the lowers only. You'll thank me.

Originally posted by rastaz

Ummm at $11 each its actually $5 cheaper than you paid assuming a 1.63 exchange rate.;) Besides did you not have to pay some sort of brokerage fee at the border on top of that?:D

I find with most dealerships you can get better than wholesale, all you have to do is ask...:cool:

No, I didnt pay a brokerage fee, since I live in Alabama:D.

I've been following this thread and I'm confused (easy, I'm well practiced). The word "missing" makes it even worse.

Assuming three things:

1. I am willing to use the same bushings in all locations where possible (tuning the ride is not important),

2. I want to replace *all* of the bushings and add any missing bushings (these 6 "missing" bushings and the "GNX" bushing),

3. I want rubber bushings and not poly,

Then I need to get how many of what.....?

For $109 jump on the ES poly's. I paid $160 for mine. Not really a huge noticable difference. I mean your fillings won't fall out or anything. You won't be replacing the poly ones in another 10 years.

Originally posted by terryk
I've been following this thread and I'm confused (easy, I'm well practiced). The word "missing" makes it even worse.

Assuming three things:

1. I am willing to use the same bushings in all locations where possible (tuning the ride is not important),

2. I want to replace *all* of the bushings and add any missing bushings (these 6 "missing" bushings and the "GNX" bushing),

3. I want rubber bushings and not poly,

Then I need to get how many of what.....?

This is exactly what I want to know. I want the firmest of the rubber bushings for all locations.

Originally posted by Pats-GN

No, I didnt pay a brokerage fee, since I live in Alabama:D.

Alabama, that's almost a seperate Country isn't it? ;) I'm sure Rob figured you were in Jasper Alberta which is what I thought as well. :D

Originally posted by cool 84

This is exactly what I want to know. I want the firmest of the rubber bushings for all locations.

Ditto. That's what I want. That's why I will go with the 457915's for all of the lowers, but since I am doing the uppers as well does anyone know if I can get away with just one part # from GM? If so, which one?

If I *have* to, I will use the poly but after having tried poly in engine mounts and various suspension locations, I hate poly so much that I bought and built every tool necessary to replace the rubber bushings with factory rubber. I'll change them every year if I have to, but I'm not using poly. No sir-ee!

So, if someone can help us on clearing up the missing bushings, the GNX bushings, the different rubber bushings, the part numbers, etc, one fewer person will have to suffer the living hell of poly....

Polyurethane, you know what that stuff does to kids?

Terry

86 T-Type Poly Intolerant/Recovering Addict

The 6 "missing" bushings are just that, missing. Instead of a lower bushing there is a washer, loose on the bolt. The washer keeps the body from coming off the frame in a minor accident (In a major accident, good luck), but otherwise does nothing to limit frame/body separation.

Adding the 6 lowers makes the body part of the frame, increasing the cars stiffness. My car was a southern can so the upper bushings were not in too bad shape and the bolts came out easy. In Rust belt cars swapping bushings could take weeks.

Here is the stock buick bushing location diagram, notice the washers.

If you want to use the stock part numbers, here a list Note I recommend the 457915 on #3,#4 and #7 locations vs. what is listed.

And here are the complete Instructions, So easy, even jojo could follow them.

But again, I wouldn't recommend it.

So you don't recommend these bushings? I don't get your comment.

Or you don't recommend Jojo being the master mechanic.....

Originally posted by terryk
So you don't recommend that these bushings? I don't get your comment.

No I don't recommend replacing all the bushings. Just the six missing ones. Especially if you don't have too much luck with cars, like jojo.

As I stated before, you get 90% of the benefits for 10% of the work if you just replace the 6 missing lowers. If you are missing uppers or they have turned to dust, go ahead and spend the day replacing them. Otherwhise, leaving them alone is a good plan, too.

Cha-ching! Gotcha!

My 86 TT is a California car. I looked over the bushings and they look fine so I will add the missing 6. I just want the body to feel more connected to the frame and suspension.

Thanks for putting up with the questions!

Terry

86 T-Type

Looking at the diagram all the upper bushings look the same. Is the only difference the stiffness? If so, what's the stiffest stock upper bushing?

My car is a rattle trap, that's why I've added every brace made and done all the suspension work and everything I can think of to tighten the car up. Looking at my bushings, they are almost non-existant, even the uppers. I have a feeling this is where a lot of the squeeks and rattles are coming from. If I'm going to replace them I might as well do a slight upgrade.

One other thing, is it possible to overtorque the bushing bolts a little to compress and stiffen them up a little or does the bolt bottom out before you can oversquish the bushing (I've never had one apart). If it bottoms out would adding a thicker lower washer be of any benefit to getting a little extra stiffness? I just don't want to go with the polys because I hate road noise.

Originally posted by c&cgn

Alabama, that's almost a seperate Country isn't it? ;) I'm sure Rob figured you were in Jasper Alberta which is what I thought as well. :D

:D Ummm yah that's what I thought...DOH!!!:D

Back on topic does anyone know what the part #s are for the missing GNX bushings?

Originally posted by UNGN

No I don't recommend replacing all the bushings. Just the six missing ones. Especially if you don't have too much luck with cars, like jojo.

As I stated before, you get 90% of the benefits for 10% of the work if you just replace the 6 missing lowers. If you are missing uppers or they have turned to dust, go ahead and spend the day replacing them. Otherwhise, leaving them alone is a good plan, too.

Hey UNGN my car isnt that bad, and even for someone thats new to the game like myself, some of this stuff is still a little confusing, especially when there are words and phrases that you have never heard of. So what are you trying to say? that im an idiot? i cant follow directions or what?.

Originally posted by rastaz

:D Ummm yah that's what I thought...DOH!!!:D

Back on topic does anyone know what the part #s are for the missing GNX bushings?

Hey Rob, I've got 2 extra GNX bushings. Call or email me if you want them.

Clayton

Originally posted by jojo

Hey UNGN my car isnt that bad, and even for someone thats new to the game like myself, some of this stuff is still a little confusing, especially when there are words and phrases that you have never heard of. So what are you trying to say? that im an idiot? i cant follow directions or what?.

I'm trying to say I wouldn't recommend replacing all the bushings. The instruction and peoples comments may make it seem easy to replace all the bushings with a poly kit. I worry that you might get the wrong impression that its an "Easy Job".

It's not an easy job for those unfamiliar with removing and reinstalling major portions of your car (like the body from the frame) It's very easy to break things like the powersteering reservoir or destroy the bumper fillers and then theres always the problem of setting the body down 1/4" off and having one tire rub when you set everything back down.

I definately don't think you are an idiot. I just don't want you get into something over your head (very easy to do as you can imagine) until you have more experience with these cars.

Originally posted by c&cgn

Alabama, that's almost a seperate Country isn't it?

County, not country. Alabama is Georgia's biggest county, located on the west side of the state.

Originally posted by UNGN

I'm trying to say I wouldn't recommend replacing all the bushings. The instruction and peoples comments may make it seem easy to replace all the bushings with a poly kit. I worry that you might get the wrong impression that its an "Easy Job".

It's not an easy job for those unfamiliar with removing and reinstalling major portions of your car (like the body from the frame) It's very easy to break things like the powersteering reservoir or destroy the bumper fillers and then theres always the problem of setting the body down 1/4" off and having one tire rub when you set everything back down.

I definately don't think you are an idiot. I just don't want you get into something over your head (very easy to do as you can imagine) until you have more experience with these cars.

Just the way you worded it, sounded like you were ragging on me for not knowing as much as the next guy. Sorry if i took it the wrong way. And i do appreciate all the input everyone in this forum gives me (believe me!!) I dont think i could do it without you guys (well maybe:D ) But there is only a few guys in my town that know whats really going on with these cars. And everyone is always busy including myself:( Too much work and not enough time to play around with the car:( But im working on it.

thanks

jojo