You can type here any text you want

Boost Control

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

EMcNeice

What is the best way to control boost these days? I went from a bleeder valve to a custom in car setup from one of the members here. The problem with the bleeder was that i'd set it at say 18psi at WOT and two days later it would be 15... highly affected by weather. With the new in car thing, i have the underhood valve screw so loose it almost is falling out, and my wastegate is super loose too, in car valve is off... car hit about 19 psi at WOT and i can't turn it down much more. I have a stock wsategate and just want a reliable way to tune boost... are the ATR or Poston boost valve kits any good?

Have you opened up the hole in the stock elbow? That restriction by itself will raise boost, maybe more than you want. Hole should be almost as big as the puck.

i don't have the stock elbow, i have the THDP 3". I did enlarge the wastegate hole on the exhaust housing to adapt to the 3" DP.

I don't have any problems with my BSTC from Ramchargers.

Designed for use with the stock actuators and solenoid. :)

I installed the Greddy Profec II Spec B at the risk of being ricey. The control unit/panel that sits in the car is 1/3 the width and 3/4 the length of a cigarette pack. It has a heavy duty solenoid and very simple install. It is providing me with very very accurate boost control and is very simple to program. It has a lot of nice features like over boost control, recoreds last peak boost, control of spool-up by setting the PSI for the waste gate to start to open. I have have used bleeder valves in the past but there is no comparison. Cost was about$280.00

Originally posted by bogie1
I installed the Greddy Profec II Spec B at the risk of being ricey. The control unit/panel that sits in the car is 1/3 the width and 3/4 the length of a cigarette pack. It has a heavy duty solenoid and very simple install. It is providing me with very very accurate boost control and is very simple to program. It has a lot of nice features like over boost control, recoreds last peak boost, control of spool-up by setting the PSI for the waste gate to start to open. I have have used bleeder valves in the past but there is no comparison. Cost was about$280.00

This works ok without an external wastegate? I've heard electronic contrllers don't work well with stock style setups. What vendor sells these or do you get them direct from Greddy?

I am running a stock 86 GN Turbo without an adj wastegate. I have the abilty to switch between 10bls of boost for my wife or the 22lbs of boost (Razor's Alky Kit + 93 Oct) with the flip of a finger on the steering wheel(I ordered the wireless remote also). Think about the ability to switch between 2 boost profiles with the touch of your finger, one set to a launch setting and one to a 3-4 gear boost profile. When the drag strip opens by me I intend to set it up for the best launch followed by a profile after the tires hook up.
I purchased my Profect II Spec B from "Extreme PSI" but just do a web search and check prices + shop around. I really am having fun with it. Waiting for my Trans+ and Extender to taylor things even more.

bogie1 are you running the stock non adjustable wastegate??? Im about to get a stock gn with non adjustable acutator and would love to be able to control boost like you.How easy was the hookup and how easy would it be to return to stock???

I am running a totaly stock Buick GN turbo set up with the stock NON-ADJ wastegate (I bought the GN new in 1986 so I am sure of it). I have a TA49 + 50lb's + PTE front mount + translater+ and Extender Chip ready to go but I am having so much fun with my original setup for now I am leaving it alone. It is very easy to install. You just remove one nut and take off the OEM boost sol and replace with the Greddy. Run the boost lines to it and one to the passenger compartment hook up the power and go. It took me a little while to tune the 5 settings but I am just a Redneck who would rather watch someone else and learn rather then read the manual. It would take less than 10 minutes to return it to the original GM stock setup.

So that boost controller eliminates the chip control of the boost and allows you to control boost from in the car. Is there any way to scale back boost in 3/4th gears?

Pronto--The Greddy is a micro processor that takes over the boost contol from the ECM. You set up (2) seperate boost profiles. I bought the optional little remote contol switch that fits nice on the spoke of the steering wheel (hi tech no wires). You can set one profile for high boost and whenever your O2's or whatever tell you to reduce boost just hit the switch and now you instanly are running the other profile.
For example I have stock tires so I have one profile set to 15 lbs boost for launch and as soon as I hook up I hit the switch and bang I am running 22lbs boost.
If you had nitto's or slicks you could set it up for a humungus 30 lbs lauch then when you hit third hit the switch and run 25 lbs or whatever.
I like the overboost protection which is user selected as well as the ability to set what PSI my waste gate begins to open. This really helps you set up a spooling curve suited to your set up.

30 psi launch??!! :eek: U running some 130 octane or what? My Nitto's will get smoked hitting second gear nevermind at launch.

The settings for each of the two boost profiles are:

1: % of Total System Boost- The Max the unit will ahndle is 43.5 lbs boost- I have mine high boost setting set to 65% and that gives my 22lbs boost

2: Gain of solenoid-- This you set for boost consistency. I have mine set to 20% and have no spikes.

3: Start Boost- This is set in PSI to when you want the waste gate to begin to open--This is how you affect your spoolup I have mine set to 14.5 lbs and have great response but I would like to tune it even more. You can really fine tune this set up not like a hit and miss bleeder.

4: Waring.audable ping sounds and LCD turns red when you exceed the PSI that you dial in as your maximum desired boost level.

5: Limiter - you set what % of boost reduction you desire if you boost hit the waring level

6: The unit will record the peak boost -which you can clear anytime to record the new peak.

It is a neat toy.

EMC--was only kidding about the 30lbs launch --just an example of what you CAN do with it.--:)

The settings for each of the two boost profiles are:

1: % of Total System Boost- The Max the unit will ahndle is 43.5 lbs boost- I have mine high boost setting set to 65% and that gives my 22lbs boost

2: Gain of solenoid-- This you set for boost consistency. I have mine set to 20% and have no spikes.

3: Start Boost- This is set in PSI to when you want the waste gate to begin to open--This is how you affect your spoolup I have mine set to 14.5 lbs and have great response but I would like to tune it even more. You can really fine tune this set up not like a hit and miss bleeder.

4: Waring.audable ping sounds and LCD turns red when you exceed the PSI that you dial in as your maximum desired boost level.

5: Limiter - you set what % of boost reduction you desire if you boost hit the waring level

6: The unit will record the peak boost -which you can clear anytime to record the new peak.

It is a neat toy.

Too bad, for all that money, you can't have 3rd gear boost scaling. A very important feature for our T/R's, especially on a daily driver :rolleyes:

There is however, a very nice alternative that many of us use.

http://www.fullthrottlespeed.com/Dy...=122-EVEREST-98445USDDH31&Cc=&ic=050BSTC&tpc=

Dave,
Isn't being able to fire the second set of boost paramaters when you hit 3rd gear with the Greddy similar to 3rd gear boost scaling? Just wondering what the BStC 3rd gear boost scaling does.

I'm going with the BSTC controller. The greddy looks nice but its a little expensive for me. I wish i knew about the bstc before i drilled two holes in my console to mount my current control knob!
:mad:

Dave,
Isn't being able to fire the second set of boost paramaters when you hit 3rd gear with the Greddy similar to 3rd gear boost scaling? Just wondering what the BStC 3rd gear boost scaling does.

The BstC takes an input from the tranny's 3rd gear switch. So, when you hit third gear, it will pull the boost back by as much as you set into the control. Can be anywhere from zero to quite a few #'s. I have mine pulled back to about 16# in third.

Back