Boost controller question

TheHitman!

I just needed a simple boost controller and picked up one of these. I don't race...I just like to spin the tires every now and then. Anyways these do not come with anytype of instructions... On the part with the nob the top port says vent.. Bottom shows out. So does the supply line from the turbo go to the center barb on the t block or?

Attachments

• s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    139 KB · Views: 155
You could set the adjustment very low and blow through it and see which way the air goes through it.

It seems you would not use the tee at all.

Last edited:
Thank you to both... Here is the problem. The part with adjustment has one port "top one" as a vent port and the bottom one as a line port. Then the T has a through and through and the side port is made on.

So I am wondering if the boost from the turbo goes to the made on port of the t and the vent stays open on the adjuster. Does that sound about right?

If you're going to the dedicated port on the turbine housing, you don't need the T:

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-27_9-26-50.png
    upload_2018-2-27_9-26-50.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 100
I was thinking of it as a spring and ball setup where the boost pushes on the ball and is not allowed to pass through to the wastegate actuator until the boost is high enough to overcome the spring pressure. The tighter the spring, the higher the boost.

It may be a bleed valve where you put the tee in the line from the turbo to the wastegate actuator. Run a line from the tee to the bleed valve and vents to atmosphere.

Let's say the turbo makes 20 psi boost, with the valve closed the wastegate sees 20 psi, so the engine sees 20psi.
Once you open the valve and bleed say 5 psi boost to atmosphere, the wastegate only sees 15 psi and will not open until it sees 20 psi, so now the turbo has to make 25 psi boost and that is what the engine sees as well.

You may have to take it apart to see how it works.

Logic says the spring and ball type keeps the wastegate closed longer providing quicker spool up.
Here is a spring and ball type. The bottom nipple goes to the turbo and the side nipple goes to the wastegate actuator.

IMG_4449.PNG

I was thinking of it as a spring and ball setup where the boost pushes on the ball and is not allowed to pass through to the wastegate actuator until the boost is high enough to overcome the spring pressure. The tighter the spring, the higher the boost.

That's exactly how they work. The actuator is sprung to open at a particular amount of pressure, often around 10psi. The controller contains a spring loaded check valve that bleeds pressure off before it gets to the actuator. The knob adjusts the spring tension which changes how much pressure on the turbine side of the controller is required to bleed enough pressure over to the actuator side to move it..

You often hear them called "Grainger valves" because you can make them with plumbing parts from the Grainger catalog.

I bought one of them a while ago and I believe the Tee was used to make it an in car/remote boost controller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
7d1c6e63bdf61666fc95fbdb4a34865e.jpg

Last edited:
I bought one of them a while ago and I believe the Tee was used to make it an in car/remote boost controller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
7d1c6e63bdf61666fc95fbdb4a34865e.jpg

I can see clearly now..... That is exactly it... I will buy some more vac line and locate it in the car.. Will make it allot easier to make changes. Thank you all.