You can type here any text you want

Boost Gauge?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

iwantatta

Is it necessary to cut the hose that goes to the stock boost gauge when your teeing in an aftermarket boost gauge? I'd prefer to not cut anything if it's not easy to replace. Thanks.

I took the hose that runs from the MAP to the hardling on the plenum and pulled that off and put it on one side of the T and then got a little bit of hose to run from the T to the hardline. Works well and I didn't have to cut anything. Plus it's set far enough back you can't really see the T.

72firebird said:
I took the hose that runs from the MAP to the hardling on the plenum and pulled that off and put it on one side of the T and then got a little bit of hose to run from the T to the hardline. Works well and I didn't have to cut anything. Plus it's set far enough back you can't really see the T.

Thanks!!! I'll try that.

72firebird said:

I just got around to trying it these weekend. Having a little trouble with the hoses and T that came supplied with my Boost Gauge.

There is a hardline going from i believe the MAP Sensor to the throttle body. On each side of the hose there is a kind of boot. A 90 degrees boot is on the MAP sensor. The hose is fairly small in diameter but the boot allows it to go over the hardline on the throttle body.

The hose that came with the gauge is too small to fit around the hardline attached to the throttle body. This also means that the T won't work because it is fit for the provided hose.

Any suggestions? Should i just remove the the hose inbetween the Map sensor and throttle body completely and by completely new hoses? Will it be easy to find an alternative T to work with the new hoses? Thanks Guys.

The hardline is a plastic vacuum line that is used on newer cars. Your local Shuck or Autozone should have an assorment of the rubber boots to use with them, including T's and reducers. You just need to run a short section of new line from the original boot on either end and put in the appropriate T fitting between it and the original line. Or just use new vacuum hose.

bkoons said:
The hardline is a plastic vacuum line that is used on newer cars. Your local Shuck or Autozone should have an assorment of the rubber boots to use with them, including T's and reducers. You just need to run a short section of new line from the original boot on either end and put in the appropriate T fitting between it and the original line. Or just use new vacuum hose.

Where is the best place to run the hose through the firewall? So far it looks like the best place is the grommet that contains some wires and is located next to the steering column area. I'm just worried that the hose is going to get pinched. Do you just remove the whole grommet and cover the area with some sealant?

I can see now that an electrical gauge would be somewhat easier. I could squeeze those wires through without worrying about the hose getting pinched.

Mine is an electric gauge and I ran the wire thru the grommet you are talking about. I would think the hardline tubing would fit thru also but not rubber hose. The plastic line is pretty tough and unless you kink it you shouldn't have any trouble.

I pushed the hardline through the same grommet, no modifications just made sure to push it straight then had someone grab it at the other end. Had no problems doing it this way and my gauge still works ;)

Thanks, I think i may have gotten a little confused.

I was still trying to use the Vaccuum/rubber hose supplied with the gauge still. The T connector i got with the gauge i replaced with a 1/4" T-connector. Pull the hardline vacuum with the boot and put it on one side of the T. Other side connect back to the throttle body with a short hose.

The T connector side which goes to the gauge as i understand now should be a hardline/plastic vacuum hose. I guess i should ask the right questions when i go to the shop. The vacuum hoses they show me are always rubber. I've asked for smaller ones, but never mentioned they are plastic. Maybe that will help. Thanks.

What you get with the gauge is typicly a number of feet of the plastic hardline (really thin plastic tubing), this one you run from where you T in as you described and then all the way to the gauge in the cockpit. If you didn't get the thing plastic tubing / hardline that is what you need to get (if I remember correct they are 1/8").

Thanks Jan,

My gauge came with tubing but it is fairly thick rubber. It will fit a 3/8" T-connector. It's definately not hard or thin like the hose that goes to the throttle body. I can see that fitting through the grommet.

Found the tubing at the store. This time i did not mention anything about vacuum hoses. The first thing they seem to pull out when i ask that are the rubber hoses. Mentioned that this was for a boost gauge and they pulled out something else.

Looks like all i need is that 1/8" connector. Thanks!!!

Man, has this turned into a project.

The tubing i got that i thought was correct is not 1/8". It's rather hard and flexible but smaller than 1/8" (i believe its nylon). I've looked around everywhere around here. Autozone, Pep Boys, Kragens. Seems like they don't have any 1/8" nylon tubing or for a fact 1/8" rubber hoses.

So what i came up with so far is:
Using a 1/4" T on all sides.
The T side that goes to the gauge goes to a short 1/4" hose.
The end of that hose gets but through a 1/4" to 1/8" connector.

A 7/64" hose is put over the 1/8" connector (still fits snuggly even though
different size). The 7/64" hose fits around my nylon tubing which then goes to my gauge.

Are there really this many pieces necessary to get it to fit? I sure wish i could find a T with a 1/4" on both sides and a 1/8" to the gauge (seems like they have everyother combination except that). Then get some 1/8" nylon hose. Do most gauges come with a 1/8" nylon tubing?

Yeah most guages come with the tubing. I got some from Advance a while back in their little rice department. It was a vacuum/boost guage installation kit. It was in a red package.

Unfortunately there is no Advance auto stores on the West Coast. Looks like i'll have to try to find a similar kit on the internet or live with how i've pieced it together.

Guess that's what i get for ordering something other than Autometer. FYI it is a Defi DGauge Series. It's a nice looking gauge and the color matches perfectly with the interior lights. But the correct tubing is not easy to find.

I may just order the autometer install kit.

I know the feeling, I had a hard time just finding the T in this country ended up with a white T for 4mm hose (I think it was) painted it black got the rubber connector off some spare hose thing I had laying around used some super glue to stick it together ..... when I was in the US later I picked up some spare stuff for when I redo my engine bay this winter.

Anyway snapped some pictures of my install and also of the parts I bought, the nylon tubing kit I bought at Autozone (or possibly Kragan) found it in the "riser" department where they had some gauges and stuff.

Also the rubber connectors are avalible in the help section for differnt sizes I grabbed 2 different (or possibly a few more) as I could not remember the size of the T I used.

Anyway hope this helps and you can get everything together.

Attachments

• BoostGauge T Pic1.jpg
    BoostGauge T Pic1.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 78
  • BoostGauge T Pic2.jpg
    BoostGauge T Pic2.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 72
  • TubingKit Pic1.jpg
    TubingKit Pic1.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 65
  • TubingKit Pic2.jpg
    TubingKit Pic2.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 1-8 Connectors.jpg
    1-8 Connectors.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 64
Jan Larsson said:
I know the feeling, I had a hard time just finding the T in this country ended up with a white T for 4mm hose (I think it was) painted it black got the rubber connector off some spare hose thing I had laying around used some super glue to stick it together ..... when I was in the US later I picked up some spare stuff for when I redo my engine bay this winter.

Anyway snapped some pictures of my install and also of the parts I bought, the nylon tubing kit I bought at Autozone (or possibly Kragan) found it in the "riser" department where they had some gauges and stuff.

Also the rubber connectors are avalible in the help section for differnt sizes I grabbed 2 different (or possibly a few more) as I could not remember the size of the T I used.

Anyway hope this helps and you can get everything together.

All i can say is thanks a lot for all your help. It's one thing to own a car like this, but its another thing to have such great people helping you out along the way to learn as much about it and work on it. Thanks again Jan. I owe you :)

Glad to be of help, without this community I would have been stranded several times as well! Let me know if you need anything else in the future.

Back