You can type here any text you want

Boost questions (manual boost controller)

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Dwilc47

Should i be able to get more boost past 26# with my TE44 with the TR customs 3in downpipe with the external 46mm wastegate with the turbonetics controller? (Looking at TR customs the turbonectics boost controller says its rated at 0-50#) I pruchased the car with these mods.
Ive been reading up and asked a few questions and 26# seems to be the max. i want to be able to hit 30# at least a couple times down the track but my street boost will be at the limit of 26/27#
26# of boost with alky. It will creep up to 28-29# when i roll on the throttle from an on ramp and level out at 26# but if i stab a WOT run it will hit 26 and stay there.

I also believe my controller has gone bad becuase i cant seem to turn boost down or up. Ive pulled the knob out turn it to the left to lower the boost, run it and nothing changes still at 26#. But i read somewhere this could me a leak possibly?

thanks for the help. rest of mod in sig

Dan

the spring in the external gate needs to be the correct rate.it sounds like that is the spring rate.26#open it up usually their is a color code spring

i was having the same issue once .i bought the rjc adjustable valve ,then put a 18# spring in the gate because the boost pressure above 20 was pushing the gate open with a light spring.then i use the rjc to change the boost i wanted.

Disconnect your boost controller and hook your turbo directly to your wastegate, tuner style. This will tell you what spring is in your gate. I run a light spring in mine (6lb)so that it will react faster when it reaches the boost controllers preset value.

Bryan

This is in the discription from TR Customs website on the 3in downpipe with wastegate "if you do NOT already have a boost controller you WILL need to get one as the spring in the external wastegate is set for 10lbs" What spring should i get instead or is this enough?

But what is cuasing the boost controller to not lower the boost when i turn the knob left?

Bit of a newbie when it come with this but bear with me im learning all i can!

If the wastegate hole in the turbo and the downpipe have not been hogged-out already, it needs to be. This will help boost creep. the wastegate has a little adjustment to it too. The top of the gate has a nut that can be loosened, then loosen the adjustment screw. You may get 3-5 lbs of adjustment here. I would remove the controller first to get an idea of where you are at with the spring.

Bryan

Good info ^^^
Plus this vvv

Disconnect your boost controller and hook your turbo directly to your wastegate, tuner style. This will tell you what spring is in your gate. I run a light spring in mine (6lb)so that it will react faster when it reaches the boost controllers preset value.

Bryan
What he said

Don't forget boost from the compressor isn't the only thing opening the wastegate. Exhaust back pressure is higher than the boost, and it pushes on the wastegate valve. Too big of a hole can cause more pressure to push on the valve causing low boost, also the larger the hole, the more pressure bleed off at short movement. This can cause boost creep. If you have your boost controller maxxed out, it isn't letting boost to the wastegate, which will make the boost go high, then when back pressure is high, it will push the wastegate open lowering the boost. Opening the wastegate hole isn't the answer to everything. Too big is bad too. The only time you need to open it is when you can't lower the boost.

I ported my turbo gate hole
To correct my spike issues
And it lowered my boost.
( bigger hole .more pressure . Gate opens faster )
I installed a 14lb spring car will boost 30# no problems
But u will need to change the tune a bit. Car spools so much faster

One other thing the pipes are from gn1 . They had issues with the discharge pipe being restrictive .
Not allowing the exhaust to escape fast enough causing ( spike or creep )

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Bryan

How to I connect the turbo directly to the wastegate. I tried to just bypass the controller and hooked the hoses from the tee to the top of the wastegate but still was hitting 26#

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 190
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 159
How to I connect the turbo directly to the wastegate. I tried to just bypass the controller and hooked the hoses from the tee to the top of the wastegate but still was hitting 26#
That is not what he meant. Disconnect all that except the line from the compressor to the side of the wg.

Put the boost gauge vac to the engine vac. Not the gate.
U want too see the boost in the engine.

Use the turbo vac port and the bottom vac on the gate.
One hose. Do not hook up the top gate vac port

The hose to the turbo should be the only thing connected, and it's okay to just leave the other ports open and hoses disconnected?
I guess you could run a tee to the gauge from the line feeding the wg off the compressor.

I think this in your problem
U are looking at gate pressure
Not boost pressure

Looking for spring rate.

That is not what he meant. Disconnect all that except the line from the compressor to the side of the wg.
Thanks

Bryan

Was reading 7 pounds.

Back