You can type here any text you want

Boost Too High

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

joejakegrace

As I thought a few weeks back...finally got the bad gas out and it RUNS great! - up to about 80% throttle it flies, accelerates great, no problems. At WOT, the boost will trickle into the red, she'll start to cough....Of course, I immediately lay off the throttle - only done it 2-3x to make sure it wasn't gas, etc.

Wastegate I assume?? Guy I know used to maintain all the GNs for the State Police here says to bring it by and he'll take care of it in no time. Just want to know what I'm watching!!

more than likely its a vacum line on the side of the turbo.

my car did this exact same thing.

there is a small elbow fitting on the side of the turbo with this line comming off it.

check that first.

I had the same problem. I got a RJC boost controller to fix it. Plus I wanted to be able to adjust the boost manually.

I would be stoked if that was it!!! - so the vacuum line - just needed to put a clamp on it or what??

I had to clamp my vacuum line for the brakes at the block - kept popping off!!

Originally posted by joejakegrace
At WOT, the boost will trickle into the red, she'll start to cough....Of course, I immediately lay off the throttle - only done it 2-3x to make sure it wasn't gas, etc.

Ehhh... bad answer. Red is a bad thing when your questioning. You need to drop boost by extending the rod on the wastegate. And keep the boost very far from the red. careful you dont cough some expensive parts.

A scantool would allow you to see if any knock is getting picked up.

Knock will scatter the motor.

Freak - if you find yourself in CT, the beer is on me!!!!

Can you say the vacuum line was off? I knew you could!! Just laying up against the fitting (even looked like it was on but wasn't). Gotta find some good new 7/32 line (actually going to replace all the aged vacuum lines). But for now, cut the end off, snugged a clean piece on. Fired her up and YEEEAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!! The "pulsing" at idle I had experienced: GONE. The minor oil residue I had under the right front (that I figured was from an idiot who failed to tighten the filter) - KNOW WHAT THAT WAS - just a little blowout from that line (was all around it - had been off for a while). Oh, and best of all - took her out....

Gentle at first...wait until she's in second, slowly put the throttle down....boost steady.....ROCKET! Never gets to red and never sputters. OK, from a stop - WOT - (daughter screams..."DAAAAAADDDDYYYYYYY")

It's fixed. THANKS GUYS - a 16 year old car with 17k and so far only two problems...both vacuum lines!! I'm a happy man.

Hi,
Thanks Grumpy. It is definitely a set of pressure hoses we're talking about. These are available from cool operations like Kirban,and willl fix most of these troubles.

Originally posted by Grumpy
just so you know the wastgate lines are not vaccum :p

Exactomundo...

There is no vacuum on any of the hoses leaving the turbo or wastegate. These are pressure lines. Yes "vacuum style hose" can be used. But dont call them vacuum lines.

Vacuum lines are only for engine operations that require vacuum.. like brakes, cruise, AC, EGR, etc.

Back