You can type here any text you want

booster motor when brake pedal pushed

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
If you have a spare accumulator, I would just try swapping it and see if that fixes your problem. Easier than going through the flowchart and buying the wrong part. Where are you located?

I did the troubleshooting flowchart and everthing checked out okay, but the pedal still sinks. Last night I noticed a clicking sound under the hood as the pedal sinks to the floor.

The only problem is that no one has Pm's for a decent price. Autozone and Advance both told me that Cardone and Bendix are both out of supply at the factories. These units run about $300-$400. Know any other reliable sources, or should I just scrap the PM and do the vacum conversion for $200.00?

Yes, the P/M is expensive. Kirbans has them on the shelf, I believe for over $400. That's the going rate these days. If you add up the cost of the individual parts at todays prices, it's not too bad. Problem bacame that GM discontinued the rebuild kit. It drove the cost right through the roof.

The Vac conversion is your choice. I don't prefer that method.

I did the troubleshooting flowchart and everthing checked out okay, but the pedal still sinks. Last night I noticed a clicking sound under the hood as the pedal sinks to the floor.

The trouble shooding chart is for the high pressure side of the P/M.
The standard side is where you have your problem.
EDIT: The clicking sound is the motor probably deadheading on your acc ball that is slipping pressure inside the messed up cylinder.

The P/M has to be maintained from the start, and kept up.
I had the same issues you do back 7 yrs ago.
I have kept mine up and have not had a problem since.

Here's some info that might be of help- My master cylinder was leaking on GN#1. I checked on ebay and there is a guy who goes by 98drop that, according to a poster on this board, bought up a bunch at Advance :eek: and is parting them out on ebay. Anyway, I bought a new mc from him for about $130. The next one on ebay sold for around $65. So if you only need the mc I would buy from him. As for Cardone being out of stock- mine is supposed to come in today at Autozone, for GN#2. If it doesn't, I will email a contact I have there and see when they plan on getting more. Let me know if you intend to buy a Cardone unit and maybe I can help- after I get mine of course ;) .
Kirban has sold a couple accumulators on ebay for $135 within the last week.

The trouble shooding chart is for the high pressure side of the P/M.
The standard side is where you have your problem.
EDIT: The clicking sound is the motor probably deadheading on your acc ball that is slipping pressure inside the messed up cylinder.

The P/M has to be maintained from the start, and kept up.
I had the same issues you do back 7 yrs ago.
I have kept mine up and have not had a problem since.

I'm new to the GN thing. Could you elaborate on what the proper maintenance for the PM setup should be?

Here's some info that might be of help- My master cylinder was leaking on GN#1. I checked on ebay and there is a guy who goes by 98drop that, according to a poster on this board, bought up a bunch at Advance :eek: and is parting them out on ebay. Anyway, I bought a new mc from him for about $130. The next one on ebay sold for around $65. So if you only need the mc I would buy from him. As for Cardone being out of stock- mine is supposed to come in today at Autozone, for GN#2. If it doesn't, I will email a contact I have there and see when they plan on getting more. Let me know if you intend to buy a Cardone unit and maybe I can help- after I get mine of course ;) .

Thanks for the valuable info. I'm checking ebay right now.

Good to meet ya. My son is in school in Savannah. I always passing through that area. Maybe we'll get a chance to meet.

My powermaster came in as promised. I bled it at the master cylinder but the pedal went down farther than I like. So I brought it in to the shop and they bled the brakes. Mechanic said there was only a slight amount of air in the front. Brake pedal still didn't feel right. Took car to my regular mechanic and he adjusted the rear brakes. Also, a spring was in backwards! :eek: Anyway, brakes feel better than ever now. Should also be able to hold much more boost at the line now! :smile:

I'm new to the GN thing. Could you elaborate on what the proper maintenance for the PM setup should be?

Simple...you have to keep good fluid in it. Kind of like changing your oil. If the fluid becomes dark or cloudy, it needs to be changed. Brake fluid is supposed to be gold in color and see through, not black. An annual flush/bleed would be good, but I have waited as long as 2 years between flushings with no ill effects to date.

Hydroboost Vs Vacuum Vs Powermaster

We Still Rebuild Powermasters, But Again The Motor/pumps Are The Problem. The Vanes Are Phenolic, And They Wear Fast. The Pumps Are Crimped Shut When They Are New, And Don't Lend Themselves To An Easy Rebuild. Cardone Is Good, And Cardone Is Big, But They Still Have A Problem Rebuilding That 12v Pump. When The The Vanes Are Loose, The Pump Has A Hard Time Building Up The Pressure Needed To Open The Switch, And Shut Off The Motor. The Hydroboost Will Outlast The Car, With No More Brake Issues.

We Still Rebuild Powermasters, But Again The Motor/pumps Are The Problem. The Vanes Are Phenolic, And They Wear Fast. The Pumps Are Crimped Shut When They Are New, And Don't Lend Themselves To An Easy Rebuild. Cardone Is Good, And Cardone Is Big, But They Still Have A Problem Rebuilding That 12v Pump. When The The Vanes Are Loose, The Pump Has A Hard Time Building Up The Pressure Needed To Open The Switch, And Shut Off The Motor. The Hydroboost Will Outlast The Car, With No More Brake Issues.

Looks like the next time I have brake issues, I know who to call! BTW, who would I call? What is your business name and contact info? Thanks!

Hydroboost Vs Vacuum Vs Powermaster

Thanks For Asking! Our Company Is Called "power Brake Service, Inc." It Was Established By My Father In 1950. We Were Working On Edsels, Packards, Chain Drive Macks, Etc, When They Ruled The Road. I Have/restored A 1923 Mack Truck Originally Owned By "coca Cola" I Have Had Several Corvettes Ls6, Zr-1, F.i 60 Vette, 2 66 427's, And With A Ss427 Impala In There. It Is Serial No. "18" L72 425hp. M22 Monster. I Built Several 409's. One A 482ci Z11, And A Blown 482ci "409" Featured In The Feb 82 "super Chevy" We Build High Powered Brake Systems For The Handicapped, The Utility Companies, The Military, Motor Homes, Race Cars, Muscle Cars, Etc. We Have Installed Hydroboosts On 5 Of The "overhaulin'" Shows, And Recently Boyd Coddington's Show. Stacey David Installed Our H/b On His "sgt Rock" Truck. Our Website Is "powerbrakesonline.com" And Our 8oo No. Is 504 1060. Thanks, Bob Sweeting

Scrap it, and

The only problem is that no one has Pm's for a decent price. Autozone and Advance both told me that Cardone and Bendix are both out of supply at the factories. These units run about $300-$400. Know any other reliable sources, or should I just scrap the PM and do the vacum conversion for $200.00?

don't look back. The cost of maintaining that piece of scrap is only going to continue to spiral out of sight.
The TTA, [and many other turbo cars] don't use it, why would 1 be needed on a TR?? :confused: Beyond me...:D

Back