boxed controll arm

denn454

turbo swimmer
whats the advantage of boxing the rear lower controll arm?

I have to take mine out soon to put new bushings in and i'm concidering boxing them. or should i just get a premade one, or get a tube and make my own?

Boxing eliminates wheel hop when your tires break loose... I'm sure searching could have found at least a dozen threads about this.

Box your own, if you can get a hold of a welder, any idiot can weld these, I managed to do it, and I never welded before in my life.

i did a search but didn't find much about how or what it helps.

Doing it wouldnt' be any problem, but i stil don't quite see how it helps. at the bottom the metal is bent over giving it added stregnth, opposed to a simple 3 sided bar. Also i've never experenced any wheel hop at all, what gives?

Well, personally, I've only had wheel hop once, but it's not cool. I'm somewhat new to my car, I've only made a few dozen track runs, and the one with wheel hop is my third most memorable. I'm sure as hell not saying my first or second, they were too embarrassing for words.

It's also a handling thing, but most of all, I believe that it stiffens the bar from twisting, not bending, during the launch, wheel hop is AWFUL, and can mess up your rear end or tranny pretty bad, from what I've heard.

I boxed mine this winter while I'm doing all of my handling mods: stiffer springs, shocks, super-thick front sway-bar, bushings and body mounts.

I've had bad wheel hop with my stock tire, stock suspension, stock rear bushing 87 GN.

Even with stock tires, there's enough traction to cause bad problems. On one run I had 102.7 MPH, but only about 14.0 sec due to the traction problems.

I now have the HR super stiff, tubular steel, upper & lower control arms, HR sway bar on the way, but no data yet.