You can type here any text you want

Brake pedal removal - Any wisdom you can pass along?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Blazer406

Mechanical Engineer
Thinking about re-doing my hydroboost conversion... which will require I remove my brake pedal and modify it instead of cutting and welding the rod on the HB unit. Since I think they pedal reamoval is a pain..... wanted to know if anyone had any words of wisdom besides patience......?? I assume removing the drivers seat is a worthwhile excersise......

Any thoughts?

DOnt eat a big meal and get upside down and install an extra set of hands on your body, have 2 flashlights and all your tools at arms length. Piece of cake. :D

Take the front seat out... then you have the whole area to lie down. 4 bolts and maybe (if you have a power seat) 1 electrical connector.

DOnt eat a big meal and get upside down and install an extra set of hands on your body, have 2 flashlights and all your tools at arms length. Piece of cake. :D

Well... I'm done for tonight... I just ate a large supper....

You guys make it seem so easy.

The 4 nuts holding the PM bracket (on the inside of the firewall) was not a whole helluva lot of fun.

I might crawl under there and give it a look-see anyway.....

Edit.... that is the same @#$%$# bolts I just tightened yesterday! ... only there is a 5th one straight up in the top.....

Piece of cake. I've pulled 100's of pedals and boosters over the years. As far as the pedal take a 11/16" Ratchet wrench or box end wrench and put it on the nut. Use a 3/8 drive ratchet with a 5/8" socket on a 6" or 10" extension. Pull down the cruise module out of it's bracket on top of the gas pedal. Sneak the extension up over the gas pedal and over the speedo cable and loosen the nut and bolt. Pull the bolt out. Now pull the Cotter pin off the rod and push the rod off the brake pedal. Pull down the brake pedal. It takes me less than 5 minutes to do. To reinstall just do the opposite. Install the rod on the brake pedal before you run the bolt back through. If you need more room to run your hand you can pull the brake and cruise switch out of the way.

and those 4 nuts by firewall, easier

15mm deep socket , swivel and a foot or so of extension , want faster hit it with 3/8" air ratchet and its less than a minute and they're all off

and those 4 nuts by firewall, easier

15mm deep socket , swivel and a foot or so of extension , want faster hit it with 3/8" air ratchet and its less than a minute and they're all off

That's how I did it the other day.... except I have an 18" extension and a swivel... and 15mm deep well 3/8 drive socket...

Looking last night... I'm not sure I have the room I need to re-locate the pin the hydroboost attaches to on the brake pedal.... I need to weld a small tab onto the pedal arm itself... and re-locate the pin toward the drivers seat 1-1/4" or so..... the pedal bracket itself is getting close there.... because of the brake switches are nearby.....

your either going to have to shorten the actuator rod
cut and reweld or
cut and thread a heim end onto it then you can make a little more adjustments and be able to just drill the arm and use a 2"x 3/8 bolt to attach

or move the master mounting off the firewall with a spacer

your either going to have to shorten the actuator rod
cut and reweld or
cut and thread a heim end onto it then you can make a little more adjustments and be able to just drill the arm and use a 2"x 3/8 bolt to attach

or move the master mounting off the firewall with a spacer

I have already done the cu/reweld.... I just don't like it. The weld looks fine.....I just know that is what is going to stop the car from 130 mph... is that teeny little rod. Also... if my HB goes out... and I have to go get another... I must do the rod mod again. Thant sux.

I might look into a spacer... as I am probably going to have to relocate the PS reservoir anyway.

Ideally, I would like to have an unmodified HB unit.... in case I ever needed to replace it....

Why are you removing the brake pedal?

The HB & PM use the same pedal. The vacuum requires a diferent pedal.

Why are you removing the brake pedal?

The HB & PM use the same pedal. The vacuum requires a diferent pedal.

I was contemplating moving the pin for the HB rod about 1-1/4" further away from the firewall (which would mean to weld a small ear onto the brake pedal arm itself... sticking straight back). This would allow me to use an unmodified HB.... and if it were to go out... I just go get another from the parts house...and bolt it in... I wouldn't have to cut and re-weld the rod.

Decided to just keep what I got right now (I have already cut and re-welded the rod)

Back