You can type here any text you want

Brake problems!!!!!!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

dragrazor

Well, it happened,i was bleeding the brakes and ran out of fluid at the reservoir. I installed a new proportioning valve, new braided brake lines, i bought a phoenix brake bleeder, and didnt think it would run out of fluid so quickly and now i cant get the air out of the system. Now what? HELP!!!!!!!!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

By the way, i was doing it as it says in gnttype.org

I would start from the begining again and rebleed the master cylinder before rebleeding each wheel. Keep the master full or you must start from the begining again.

T, rebleed the master cylinder how? Bench bleed?

This way kind of makes a mess but it has worked for me. Fill the reservoir and crack all 4 bleeders at the wheels and let gravity bleed the system. This takes a while and you will want to keep the reservoir topped off. After this you could go to the normal bleeding procedure.

I've always bled them on the car. You unhook the lines and use the tubing that came with the mc to attach to the line ports and loop up into the reservoir. Then reattach the brake lines and proceed with the bleed, starting at pass rear, then Dr rear, then pass front and last Dr front. I bleed each wheel until I get clean fluid before moving to the next one. This flushes out the system.
I've not used a fancy vac bleeder, always comondeared a friend , neighbor, girl friend, wife or one of the kids.I usually put a 2x4 under the pedal so the pedal pusher can't fully push the pedal down and I work the bleed screws and tubing/catch glass bottle. Clear tube and an old school glass maonaise jar. That way I can see what it is doing. Bubbles, crudgy fluid and such. I did use a catch thing I bought at orielly that was plastic and had some kind of one way valve. I had to keep stopping to unclogg it as the fluid was old and very rusty.

Post back how you do.

Seeing what mike is talking about, I've done that an axle at a time, rear first then front to get the old fluid out in a hurry. I used the pedal and refilled between strokes. After doing rear then front, went back and did the single wheel at a time to get all the air out.

Let us know. Nothing like rollin around under a car on a Sunday afternoon.

Mike t, that procedure is to get the air out if the master cylinder reservoir goes dry? Also, if i do one wheel at a time, wont that accomplish the same thing,even though it may take longer? Thanks for the replies!

Texas' i dont have the hoses that come with the mc since this is not a new mc. I guess i can use some other ones

How did you bench bleed the MC the first time????

or did you??

Goto auto zone the sell the plastic fittings and hoses cheap..... http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...er-bleeder-kit/_/N-255s?itemIdentifier=226332

step 1

or hook the lines back up fill and pump just a couple times..
I mean with all the new lines a such what harm now. Probably cant put anymore air in there then there already is. Then if you are buy your self crack all bleeders get a six pack and stand next to the master cylinder keeping it full until u are out of beer. then close bleeders if they all have fluid at them.

Rmar, its not a new mc. I installed a bew proportioning valve cause it was rusty and new brake lines. I bought a phoenix brake bleeder and i figured i would change the brake fluid cause it was brownish. I made the mistake of letting the mc go dry while bleeding/flushing the fluid. I didnt think it would go down so fast in the reservoir. So now i have air in the system. Do i need to bleed the mc and if so, how?

I just saw the bleeder kit for the mc from autozone. Wont all air eventually come out of the mc and lines with a vacuum bleeder? Air goes up in the lines doesn't it? Would all the air stay up in the mc?

new/used still empty...except for air. You need to replace said air with fluid. Hence the bench bleed.
Fill it back up with fluid, put the cap on and pump it a couple of times. stop
remove the lid, fill. leaving cap off .stop
open all 4 bleeders. stop
get 6 pack of beer ,stop
keep master cylinder full untill you are out of beer. stop
top off to line with fluid. stop
close all bleeders.

you should have fluid trickling out off all the bleeders and it will take a while.
if you have help you could go another route.
o and make sure you have plenty of fluid on hand before you start.

Well, i did what you guys suggested. I bled the mc by using the vacuum bleeder sucking the air out of the mc lines while returning it back into the mc. They seemed to be ok since i did not see any bubbles in the fluid. Hopefully i did it right but not much science to it. Then i did what rmar suggested about cracking all bleeders and drinking a six pack. I got drunk and took a sledge hammer to the car! (just kidding), i went through a full large bottle of fluid and closed everything back up. I have not tested it yet because i plan on painting a few things while the car is on jack stands. I will keep you guys posted. Thanks again.

Back