You can type here any text you want

Brakes hard, light is on

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87GN4ME

Please help. I am looking at buying my first 87 GN and the one I have found has some brake issues. I am sure there are posts somewhere on this site about this and I do remember hearing GN's are notorious for brake issues.

The brakes are hard each time you first push on them. They seem to grab real fast and are not smooth but do stop the car. The brake light on the dash comes on and off as you push on the brake pedal.

Before I buy I was wondering what issues I could be looking at here and what kind of repair costs I would be looking at. I am not real mechanically inclined. The car is all original with 60,000 miles. Thanx for any help.

I bought the car. Where is the cheapest place to purchase the accumulator ball? Thanx for the help.

You should really run the diagnostics before throwing parts at it.

Brake System

It could be your pump/motor or an internal leak.

The acc balls are close to $200.

OK, here's one for you. The way I read the brake recall from GN they will perform the recall regardless of age, miles or owner if it has not been done. Local GM dealer looked mine up and called whoever is responsible at Gm for recalls and they have nothing at all on my car allthough my VIN is within the recall. They say they wont touch it because they show nothing at all for the car??? Has anyone had any recent recall dealings? my guess it isnt even the recall that is the problem but thought I would start there.

The recall confuses me. I was told that the porportioning valve was defective and was recalled. I haven't had the opportunity to do research on it yet but have also been told that it didn't include the GN(?). I did see an engineering drawing of both prop valves and the new one is a better design. Next time I have to do major work to the brakes I will change it out as it hasn't been done on our GN either. Ours is working fine as far as I can tell. My brakes are Ok.

Personally, I won't let any mechanic touch my GN brakes. Even the my local stealership. They don't have a clue how to work on these PowerMasters.

Back